Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying in bulk  (Read 7509 times)

deepinthewoods

Re: Buying in bulk
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 08:34:29 pm »
i buy 25kg sacks of spuds off the roadside for 7.50/9 dependent on variety.
put the sack into an old wooden fruit box then cut a hole in the bottom of the bag and take from the bottom first. its worth going thro them occasionally to make sure of no bad ones.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 09:10:55 pm »
Bionic, we buy sacks of potatoes, nets of swedes, carrots and onions from Coed-Y-Dinas (Charlies) .... not sure where they have shops or whether they all sell as much as the Welshpool branch. We are a family of four so they all tend to get used but if for some reason I think they won't last I give some to my parents and neighbours ..... still worth buying and giving some away.

Make a lot of veg. soups too and freeze in pots.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 10:29:32 am »
does anyone know where you can buy food staples like flour, pasta , rice etc in bulk at a reasonable cost, please?
25kg sacks would be ideal.
This link looks interesting.http://www.suma.coop/ :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 11:30:54 am »
Suma are good, yes.  Our local Organic Veg Box scheme can get and deliver Suma stuff for you, and I know of others offer the same.  Our local Health Food shop stocks Suma, too, so I expect I could get them to get sacks of things for me if I wanted.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 01:30:29 pm »
Start your own little coop with SUMA - that way it's cheaper still.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS