Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Use sunbed to grow plants???  (Read 4410 times)

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
Use sunbed to grow plants???
« on: December 09, 2012, 03:55:27 pm »
What do you think about using an old woodsided sunbed with all of the light tubes. Possibly from the 1980's to grow plants???

deepinthewoods

Re: Use sunbed to grow plants???
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:02:53 pm »
wrong light spectrum. you can buy vegetation growth specific spectrum bulbs tho.

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 07:34:12 am »
thanks

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:02:46 pm »
I've recently purchased three  times 66 led's  full spectrum plant growing bulbs off ebay  at around £13 each . you don't need a shade just a suspendable holder so you can adjust the bulb height as the plants grow .
 Being LED's the lanps use very very little electricity and will soon pay for themselves as I estimate they will last 15 yrs at 2.5 hrs a day  so a couple of years at least , especially as I run them off a time switch to give the plants a six hour period of darkness so they can take in carbon dioxide.

No I don't grow weed etc  either  :farmer: it's all veg and flower starts.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 12:02:01 am »
weed ?     Nought wrong with that :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 11:42:27 pm »
Now just behave.   :roflanim:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 11:48:26 pm »
weed ?     Nought wrong with that :innocent:

There is  if you get the same horrific reaction I had with it.    Heart rate was sky high and I shook like a leaf for several hours ..never again that's for sure.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 11:50:31 pm »
 :roflanim: I worked in Drug and Alcohol services and was amazed at how many legal things have strange effects on people  :bunny: .......so many garden plants and weeds make you see space ships!!
I watched a TV programme years ago with 2 chaps trying to raise some money, could have been "cash in the attic" well they looked dodgy as  :dunce: and they wanted to open a hydroponic shop.......I bet they did a good trade!!!!!
Anyway, I am screwy enough without strange medications!! :innocent:

Thrasher

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 03:44:23 pm »
I'm all for a little vapourizer every now and then as it does away with the carcinogens in burning weed or any burning product for that matter I am amazed at how people react to the notion of having a smoke every now and again (presumably because it is illegal - yet the same person might well do 80 plus on a motorway and think that is ok because it meets the speed of most of the other traffic).

This being because it is illegal (remember alcohol was prohibited in America long before mary jane was) yet folk getting blootered, fighting etc.. on alcohol is technically ok as it is a legal drug. Each to their own but find a story of violence that is directly attributed to grass, the papers like to ramp it up (Mr X went on a drink & drugs rampage) but the real association is that it removes the want or need or whatever to be violent....that is probably why so many S American and SE Asian indiginous tribes use it as a ceremonial drug rather than alcohol (which can be easily made from many plants left to ferment etc).

Anyhoo, weeds are a particular problem and I am fed up with weeding :innocent:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 06:17:35 pm »
My opinion entirely, drink has far deeper effects on people.......I was interested to find a relation married a Shamemans daughter in Yellow Knife!! Most cultures have some substance and I believe farmers burn stuff to calm their flock....we have a Topsy turvey idea of the laws, a Lot of revenue could  be earned growing herbal remedies, they could even use criminals to farm it in communities ( I think that goes on already) the proceeds can do some great good.......I read that sort of story recently, not sure where now :thinking:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 03:59:53 pm »
I think the main problem with weed is that it can leas to wanting something stronger.  My son suggested I asked if \i could have it on presciption for the pain but I decided against it.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 04:39:30 pm »
You can get prescription type.....I am not keen, it makes has made me, years and years ago in the distant past  :innocent:  eat like a pig, not want to do anything, see strange things and make me laugh at unfunny things...I can do that on cups of tea so why bother!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS