Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jersey House Cow  (Read 7061 times)

Gwanwyn

• Joined Jul 2012
Jersey House Cow
« on: July 09, 2012, 08:47:18 pm »
Hi, I just wanted to flag up that after 36 years of keeping a house cow on my smallholding in Anglesey north Wales I have decided to retire and give up keeping cattle.  As a consequence i will have an in-calf Jersey house cow available for sale.  (Born 2007, 4th calver, caving date circa 1st August,-in calf  to Aberdeen Angus)

She might suit someone who is just starting out with a house cow and wants an animal that is "broken in" as she is quiet to hand milk, easy to catch and manage, and a smallholder's cow, not a herd animal.

If anyone wants further details, or wants to see her, you can e-mail me.

N.B. I will need to arrange the required TT Test before she can be moved, to comply with the current movement regulations.

** NOW SOLD **
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:53:51 pm by Dan »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Jersey House Cow
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:15:45 pm »
Wow, what a great opporchancity for someone  :thumbsup:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:30:16 pm »
On no! I was just browsing the net for info on house cows, as it is something i have always wanted to start, and particularly looking at jerseys! Is it viable for a complete bovine novice to take on do you think? She sounds great

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:00:18 pm »
On no! I was just browsing the net for info on house cows, as it is something i have always wanted to start, and particularly looking at jerseys! Is it viable for a complete bovine novice to take on do you think? She sounds great

Absolutely!!!! We were complete novices last year and got a jersey/friesian X with calf at foot. we had no idea if it was going to work out - we're still here one year on almost to the day! they're my favourite animals on the farm, probably because I have most interaction with them and in particular the heifer. If I didn't already have one, I'd certainly consider it!!!

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 07:16:43 am »
You have got me wondering now captain! Was it Quite easy to pick up, or did you get some hands on experience first? Im used to sheep, but have had very little dealings with cows  ???

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:13:44 am »
nope, complete novice and the cow (Betty!) had very rarely been hand milked and had lived in a herd in her previous life! We got her because her rear quarters had dropped and wouldn't withstand being in a commercial herd. She fitted right in almost straight away!

kitchen cottage

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 05:14:45 pm »
I emailed about this but didn't get a response...... mind you....  there would be  ::)   at another inhabitant of kitchen cottage.....

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:12:50 am »
Me too, no response from email. Check your emails Gwanwyn.

fattylogs

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 09:46:36 am »
And me.Still waiting reply to email!!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:40:57 pm »
Did this cow get sold??

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 01:25:41 pm »
I would love her BUT would need a magic worm hole that transported her and did the paperwork on the way  I am far to far away

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS