Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Had to stay determined......  (Read 4955 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Had to stay determined......
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:29:12 pm »
I finally got round to taking down the 2nd ham that has been hanging up in the eaves of the barn since last August. This one was a 'bone out' ham that had been wrapped tightly in muslin. We had the first one back in May which was great, but we just kept forgetting about the 2nd one.

Anyway, I peeled the material off the ham, quite prepared for all the mould etc (there was lots on the 1st ham we did and the 2 that we have done from this year's pigs are very much covered in mould as they are hung without muslin covering in a homemade meat safe)

What I wasn't quite prepared for were the grubs  :P :P  yuk. Where the bone had been tunnelled out the area was infested with these white grubs (with brown heads?) and the meat had been turned into a sort of dry fluff. That wasn't quite so bad, but further in the meat was DISGUSTING and SMELLY. However, I didn't panic and proceeded to cut way all yukky looking bits, all fluffy bits and anything with mould on it - We ended up with probably about 4lbs of dry meat from a ham that started out about 16lbs in weight. I reckon it lost about 6lbs during the drying process and another 6 in waste.

Despite all this the resulting product is really tasty   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Had to stay determined......
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:51:24 pm »
What a shame! Any idea what these grubs could have been and how they (or whatever laid the eggs) got in?

We air dry our hams wrapped in cotton pillow cases or cut up sheets (large quantities of muslin being either difficult to find or too expensive), and in previous years we always covered the rendered fat on the meat with pepper before putting it in the pillow cases. The pepper is done to keep the bugs off, it was part of the instructions of the very first recipe we ever found on air drying ham.
We didn't apply any pepper this year, thinking that bugs can't get into the meat anyway because of the pillowcases, but reading your story makes me think that we might need to revise that theory!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:49:56 am »
I didn't do anything to treat the surface of the well dry-cured bacon side I just hung up - I wonder now if I should have done...  :o

(large quantities of muslin being either difficult to find or too expensive),

Just to say that our local craft / knitting / sewing shop sells muslin by the metre.  It's £2.65 / metre, 1m wide, and they'll cut me any length I want.  I use it for filtering milk as well as wrapping hams etc.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:15:42 pm »
I have one that has been hanging since the end of Sept. Got a few months to go before I unwrap it but I am scared now of what I might find.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:38:41 am »
Hello,

This is timely for me too because I just cut into that one ham that has been hanging since we butchered the pig here at home last year in November. The hams were prepared, in the following order:

Boned
Cured
Hung to dry above the wood stove
Smoked in the chimney
Coated in red wine and ground pepper initially and then in June again
Hung up uncovered until Christmas.

I sponged it off as good as I could, then sharpened up my good Green River knife and sliced a part up real thin. I have to say I am not so taken by the taste though my wife and others think it's just great, I think the wine has soured it somewhat.
But the bone area was a difficult obstacle for me as well, whether left in, or the hollow left by certain ways of removing it. Another time I would be sure and give that part extra attention. Still, I was pretty casual about protecting it as it hung but had no problems with beasts any smaller than the cat.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 11:48:45 am »
Donald, it certainly looks impressive  :thumbsup:

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 06:48:41 pm »
Looks impressive, Donald!

I don't like to use red wine for charcuterie either, I don't like the flavour it gives (though I must say I never put any on ham, only on beef for breseola).
4 hams are drying in the loft, and half of the 2 varieties of coppa and lonzino of the 2012 pigs have already been half eaten. Salami's will be made soon, too  :yum:

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:12:10 am »
Hello,

Right after the butchery it seemed as if we had meat hanging just about everywhere in the house. I was astonished how much there was and got busy building the small room there beside the pantry to keep it all in over the long term. It has turned out to be handy and also provide space to keep the associated bins, boxes buckets ,pots that were used. So there it hangs and I also think it contributes to a certain atmosphere I like because as mentioned it does look good. And it smells as well which was also an interesting progression to follow and maybe somewhat foretelling because it was like this. I realize that that meat was not just hanging there inertly waiting to be eaten. That there were certain biological processes set in motion and continuing that had to do with temperature and humidity along with the preparation steps I had taken initially. The whole idea of this kind of meat preparation is that the structure of the flesh undergoes a change, that a kind of bacterial activity begins a process of rotting we hope to manipulate to our advantage, just like brewing cider. As time went on and I could observe in a way the process, because the meat is hanging right there where we enter and leave the house constantly, I began to see it as a battle developing -" began to see"... began to smell is how I should put it and not an unpleasant smell, don't draw any unwarranted conclusions. It was a salty, smokey classical ham and bacon smell, most appetizing even mouth-watering. But there was another underlying smell more sour and pungent. At times it would seem the one smell was dominant over the other and this would go back and forth, and was, unsurprisingly, most obvious during the warmer periods. I found nothing really unexpected about this all because it passed in my understanding that ideally the process should last two full seasons of warm and cool cycles having to do with the development of the right taste and texture of the meat.
Well, this is all fine, but entirely abstract and academic because I jumped the schedule and as I mentioned cut into the one ham after only one cycle of warm and cool this recently passed Christmas. At first I was skeptical but the taste was not unfamiliar. Never really having eaten meat prepared like this before I was prepared to accept new tastes that may even take some getting used to and after a day or so with no apparent ill effects, my thinking continued being that I was just getting accommodated to eating flesh again now after a long period of not eating flesh. That changed after baking a piece of the ham yesterday which had the effect of intensifying the taste to the point where I found it too strong to be pleasant and realizing, no, conceding, that something, at some point had taken a wrong turn. Was it the red wine, the storage where everything looked so good, the impatience? I don't know maybe it could even go back as far as the age of the pig when slaughtered. Where this pig was intended and bread to be fatted and killed within 6 months of birth, we had her two years. Well, I'll hold on to that remaining meat and see what happens while at the same time hoping to uncover what might have gone wrong.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 02:00:30 pm »
Great photos Don and also interesting description of what you have observed going on.

The 2 dry-cured hams we did from our 2011 pigs were boned out before salting and then tightly wrapped in muslin. As described in my previous posts both hams were completely covered in moulds of various descriptions when we got round to taking them down. I would have LOVED them to look like your hams in your photos - all sleek and shiny!

Our 2012 dry-cure project hams are currently hanging in our home-made 'meat safe' in the lean to section of the barn and again they look distinctly disgusting! These ones are bone-in this time. I am a lot more nervous as to whether the hams will survive in an edible form this year because it has just been SO DAMP  :raining: :raining:  (we are west Cornwall) that it will be interesting to see how much the whole transformation process has been affected/stalled or whatever. The hams have been hanging for 6 months so far and I think they will be ready in April or so.

I find that the ham has to be sliced extremely thinly (as in paper-thin like) for me to actually like the meat. If it is too thick then I just find the flavour too over powering. When we were slicing it (with a proper commercial slicer) OH started the slicing but the first 4 slices were too thick for my liking, but OH had them later after he had fried them and he said they tasted really good.

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 03:47:01 pm »
Hello,

That was an old picture put up in a hurry to include a bit of storage information but I want to show you this one from at the end.

This pig was skinned for various reasons and I have to wonder if that caused the flesh to take on more of the added flavoring than was good.

You slaughtered in June? You must have worked fast.

Hope to be informed how the flesh you have now works out in the end, one way or the other.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 05:20:52 pm »
 :excited: :excited:  Don - That picture makes me feel MUCH better  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Tish  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS