Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Solid fuel back boiler stove  (Read 13966 times)

LeanneGeo

• Joined Aug 2023
Solid fuel back boiler stove
« on: August 28, 2023, 10:48:39 pm »
Hi all

Using back boiler solid fuel for hot water in small tiny house system.
Last few evenings water has been hot after 1-2 hours of burning wood (small sticks). However tonight after 4-5 hours water was only warm but nowhere near hot.
New to this system so wondering if this is common, if anyone has any information on what might be the cause.
Thank you

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Re: Solid fuel back boiler stove
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 02:58:17 pm »
Hello, not really ideas, am looking forward to lighting the stove here, completely different heat to gas.

Right, what wood were you burning? That sometimes matters. We also burn solid fuel here as well as logs (depends whats the weather's like.) My baby normally lit November and goes out March if it's lucky, April if the weather not warm. It's a MK2 Little Wenlock boiler stove, 2 rads and hot water, cook on it too.

If you have a back boiler you have will have at last 1 radiator, is it airlocked?

We have a dual coil cylinder and usually when we start the wenlock, you hear the pipes from it start to rattle as it wakes up, which is why we do it very slowly.

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Re: Solid fuel back boiler stove
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 02:32:09 pm »
Hi all

Using back boiler solid fuel for hot water in small tiny house system.
Last few evenings water has been hot after 1-2 hours of burning wood (small sticks). However tonight after 4-5 hours water was only warm but nowhere near hot.
New to this system so wondering if this is common, if anyone has any information on what might be the cause.
Thank you

Did you get your heat/water sorted?

My LW is lit daily (and cooked on daily, roasts, baked potates, (new cast iron pot bought) bread & butter pudding, boiled eggs, they come out cream rather than white when shelling but still taste nice, pleased I have several sizes of cast iron casseroles as put a.small stew in one, and about an hour in, heard a.hissing, smelt a sudden beefy smell and shrieked "s**t, me beef!" My beef stews gravy was making it down the side of my stove, so shot into kitchen, grabbed oven gloves and shot back to stove and grabbed. This was 8.30 in the morning , stove had been lit at 6am. Carried pot to kitchen then went got a bigger pot, and tipped all in it, then took that back to stove.)

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS