Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Onduline roof  (Read 5156 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Onduline roof
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:34:07 pm »
So last weekend I did the goat shed roof in it,all good but needed a few more battens to make sure, ill leave it till next weekend I thought.. Went down today to find the rain had puddled there the missing battens where and buggered up 5 roof panels grrrrrrr. Moral of the story...don't put it off till next weekend..£100 later it's all good now but I could kick myself.... :-[ live and learn

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Onduline roof
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:12:04 pm »
Absolutely and we never stop learning. You will know for next time (should next time arise!) the amount of stuff Tony and I have learnt the hard way these past 3 years, we could write a book  ;) Sounds like you are doing a great job though Carl!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:20:34 pm »
Oh never mind Carl, I think everyone on here has made an expensive mistake or two at the least!  :rant:  It is annoying but you won't need reminding the next time.  Blame it on the weather, everything is its fault this year (and next come to think)  ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:32:35 pm »
We made this mistake using onduline on our 5m x 3m dog shed.. moral of the story? We will never use onduline we found a supplier of  6m 1m profile sheeting for 75p more a sheet. Damn site better. Onduline may be better for small projects duck houses etc but for anything more than that i wouldnt waste my money.   :(

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 09:20:51 pm »
Oh never mind Carl, I think everyone on here has made an expensive mistake or two at the least!  :rant:  It is annoying but you won't need reminding the next time.  Blame it on the weather, everything is its fault this year (and next come to think)  ::)
[/quote

Thanx Plums..getting there slowly :fc:

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 09:24:21 pm »
We made this mistake using onduline on our 5m x 3m dog shed.. moral of the story? We will never use onduline we found a supplier of  6m 1m profile sheeting for 75p more a sheet. Damn site better. Onduline may be better for small projects duck houses etc but for anything more than that i wouldnt waste my money.   :(

I think onduline is good as long as you have a good base for it too sit on and stop it from sagging..hopefully  :fc: time will tell

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 09:35:57 pm »
So true especially at the moment.   I'm anxious to get my IBC's winter proofed, meaning ti do it for absolutely ages. so mild at the moment, it is easy to forget that cold weather could easily be just around the corner.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 09:55:49 pm »
My onduline mini barn stable roof has stayed on despite stables being (i) on a raised base due to slope (ii) on top of a hill (iii) directly facing onto the Cairngorms (iv) 800ft up. 80-90 mph winds not unheard of, there are very few trees (4 in 40 acres).....
Nothing wrong with Onduline at all as long as it is properly fitted and supported with boarding and completed before the winds rise. NB we have very little overhang for the wind to get hold of as it is a mini barn design - which helps a lot.
Tin is fine but can get more expensive if the recommended anti condensation layer is fitted (a prob you dont get with Onduline). Also lethal if it is ever blown off. But a good alternative.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 01:01:31 pm »
I use onduline all the time and as long as you do the job properly it is very good.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 09:18:56 pm »
My goat shed roof has just had to be re-felted as the felt was flapping in the wind.  Hope to have the shed extension built next year and need to think about roofing materials.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS