Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rubbish heating oil  (Read 2647 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Rubbish heating oil
« on: December 20, 2012, 09:20:14 am »
...I know there has been loads of trouble with the quality of diesel but I had no idea that the same was for heating oil.  Had our Aga fixed yesterday and it was broken due to the high sulphur content in the oil.  The chap that came to fix it is seeing more and more of his type of problem, linked to certain distributors.  Makes me  :rant:.    Unfortunately we've just a got a delivery...   £650 for a tank of crappy oil that will give us the same problem. :(

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Rubbish heating oil
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:36:34 am »
It's a well documented issue with Aga's since the EU directive requiring a reduction in Sulpher content to Heating Oil

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/interiorsandshopping/6997342/Cold-comfort-in-Aga-saga.html

basically since sulphur was reduced in kerosene, some vaporising burners are unable to reach full temperature and require a much-increased frequency of servicing.

So really it can be viewed as not being the 'crap' oil (which is actually less polluting) being the problem but the old technology of the Aga that is problem.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:39:47 am »
2 things - you can get higher quality heating oil but it costs more (!) and...this has saved us £55 4 times a year...Service an oil-burning Aga

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 05:12:11 pm »
Aha!  A completely different perspective.  We've been told about another oil company to use which should be ok and if not Mr Snoodles found something on you tube about self cleaning which should keep our service levels same.

....This is what it describes (sort of)  Fifixx ....switch Aga off, undue little screw on pipe at front, lift out the tray with burners on, take off the various concentric shells, undo where the pipe attaches to burner and then you put a drill through it t clear out the sulphur, blow through.  Get rid of carbon on the concentric bits.    We are going to give it a go in a few months...if we can get a handle on it ourselves, it will save us a fair bit. £80 a pop!

Reading that article I guess we've been lucky....this is eh first time we've had this problem.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:15:53 pm by Mrs Snoodles »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 02:31:45 am »
I managed to do my Aga myself and it's working a whole heap better than previously, but yes, had to actually drill out the feed pipe, totally blocked with solid carbon.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 08:55:50 am »
Yes, that's what the video shows you - off to get some heating oil now and then will be doing just that!  It's not too bad if you try and do it every three months - I do it with a sharp screwdriver!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS