Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beech seasoning  (Read 2534 times)

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Beech seasoning
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:28:04 pm »
Doe's any of you kind souls know how long beech should be seasoned before being burnt?
I dropped a v large beech a few weeks ago and its now all happily split into 30cm lenghts under cover in a windy area with lots of circulation.How soon could it under these circumstanes be burnt....?Cheers Verdi

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Beech seasoning
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:40:54 pm »
Best leave it until next winter
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:04:55 pm »
beech burns green, but you need a hot fire to burn it. if you need it now, i would stack loads round the fire, then burn something else for a while to drive the worst of the wet out. i survived that cold winter a few years back because i felled a 3ft diameter beech tree and burnt it straight away.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:49:41 am »
It's best to season for a year, but as DITW says if you can burn other stuff along with it, it'll be okay.
We find old pallets are lovely and dry and really help get it going  ;) or some coal just to keep the temperature up.
HTH
Karen

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:47:05 am »
If you burn it too early all the energy will be used to evaporate the water and they'll give out very little heat. Stack some close to the fire/stove to force dry them - they'll burn much hotter then, otherwise it's a waste of potentially fantastic firewood
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS