Livestock > Sheep

Cade/orphan lambs feeding

(1/4) > >>

freethyme:
Morning everyone :merryxmas:
I have read on the internet that you can feed orphan lambs  :sheep:  on goat  :goat: milk. Have any of you got experince of doing this. As I would assum it would be cheaper than powder milk if I can find a local goat dairy hurd.
Thanks for your help.  :thumbsup:

Ina:
To be honest, I can't imagine it would be cheaper - unless there's somebody more or less giving away the milk because they can't sell it for human consumption. I've not heard of anybody doing it, although I'm sure it would easily be possible.

Northlands:
Lambs do really really well on goats milk.We often suckle pet lambs on goats, the goats take them readily and the lambs often do better than the ones on the ewes.  But I agree unless you have your own goat or can get it free or very cheap it wouldnt be worth while.

Ina:
Just remembered somebody telling me (at a farm where I used to work) that they'd suckled an orphan calf on a goat once.. After a while, the goat had to stand on a box so the calf could get at her teats, but both calf and foster mum did well.

LouiseG:
We raised a couple of Jacob lambs on goat milk it was so much easier than formula. Milked the goat in the morning set aside enough for the lambs and there was enough left for us as well. Would definitely do it again that way, but we did have the milk on sites so it was easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version