Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Somethings eating my cabbage  (Read 5964 times)

IainW

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Brittany
    • Honest SEO & Internet Marketing Services
Somethings eating my cabbage
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:27:31 am »
Went up to veggy patch today to see that most of the leaves from my cabbages, brocolli and cauliflower have been eaten.
There are remnents of the eaten leaves on the floor.

Can't see any rabbit droppings.
Looks like over 30 vegs have been eaten overnight.

Any ideas?
If it is rabbits and hares how do I stop it?

Iain
www.ibwsolutions.co.uk (SEO & Internet Marketing Experts) www.williamsholidays.com (European Family Holidays) www.self-catering-holiday-forum.com (Holiday Chat)      Everyone's entitled to my opinion!

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Somethings eating my cabbage
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 09:56:13 am »
Same thing happened to me last year. Carly bought me a gun,and between that and snares,I've decimated the local rabbit population and saved a fortune on dog feed!  The alternative is a lot more expensive and not as much fun. Rabbit proof fencing all the way around your veggie plot........... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Wellieboots

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 03:47:47 pm »
Its fekkin pigeons! I'm just back after a few days away for work & my brassicas have also been knobbled, but there are pigeon feathers & poo everywhere. I was warned about this but had then in for a few weeks with nothing happening re pigeons so thought they'd be ok, ruddy baskits! There are fields of peas & rape all around me but no they have to have me brassicks don't they. So off into B'Gowrie t'row to get a long wanted decent air rifle & will be 'avin pigeon pie for the weekend!! >:( ;D

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 04:01:44 pm »
Ah,for pigeons,soak bread in bicarb,let em gobble it all up then run screaming at them! Sit back and watch as they explode mid-flight,no gutting required!!  lol

Can highly recommend the SMK19 .22 air-rifle with silencer and sight if you go down that route........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Wellieboots

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 04:05:09 pm »
Now I like the sound of the bi-carb thing, might try that as well although could spoil them for the pot! Cheers for the heids up on air rifle, been meaning to get one for ages. Snares for the rabbits have meant rabbit pie in recent weeks but need to sort the pigeons as well!

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:51:33 pm »
Horticultural fleece well pinned down is a good deterrent for pigeons and cabbage white butterfly.
JD

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:51:24 pm »
And hens.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 11:58:09 pm »
cabbage whites would still be on it and you can pick them off. Ours have holes in them, so I think it's slugs here, but when I come out to collect in the mornings they are gone. Yours are probably nibbled by birds with the bits still there, could be partridges or pheasants. Cover with fine mesh, I was told Ikea net curtains spread over a tunnel made from half  hoolahoops are good value. :&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 06:55:47 pm »
Ah,for pigeons,soak bread in bicarb,let em gobble it all up then run screaming at them! Sit back and watch as they explode mid-flight,no gutting required!!  lol

Can highly recommend the SMK19 .22 air-rifle with silencer and sight if you go down that route........ Ree

Is MR REE misbehaving again lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS