Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plucking with 15 fingers - anyone tried it?  (Read 2328 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Plucking with 15 fingers - anyone tried it?
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:43:59 pm »
I've read on another thread about one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicken-plucker-poultry-plucking-fingers-Its-easy-/261127450604?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item3ccc68afec  but am always really suspicious about "reviews".  Anyone here tried one?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Plucking with 15 fingers - anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 06:55:11 pm »

Hmmm, I made one of those myself, but I'm afraid I broke the bearing on it the first time I used it, and to be honest, I wasn't convinced.

I think it's quite possibe that we didn't scald the bird for long enough though. Also, the speed of rotation seems to be very critical.

Perhaps the "fingers of love machine" (as my friend called it) will be resurrected some day, but for the moment, it's gone back in my big cupboard of half finished projects!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:21:31 pm »
Perhaps the "fingers of love machine" (as my friend called it) will be resurrected some day, but for the moment, it's gone back in my big cupboard of half finished projects!

We have a cupboard full of those too!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:25:40 pm »
I though this was a thread on the effects of inbreeding  :innocent:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 07:48:08 am »
Well if the video's anything to go by it works pretty well. A lot must depend on the scalding I reckon.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 08:16:25 am »
We have tried allsorts but find these homemade jobbies a bit too rough and tear the skin. We have settled for one of those pluckers on stands you drop birds into from Ascot to get rid of 95% of feathers but always finish by hand. We have a lot of birds to do though.
Our first large homemade plucker was the fingers attatched to a spindle thing attatched to a grinder wheel. It was like a snow machine throwing the feathers many feet in the air. It did the job but faffing about trying to be gentle took longer than handplucking!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS