Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I have to boil gammon?  (Read 6667 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Do I have to boil gammon?
« on: December 03, 2012, 03:09:48 pm »
We've got some very nice boned and rolled legs back from our two pigs. I was about to wet cure one of them ready for a large baked gammon for Christmas. However, they are all too big to fit into my largest saucepan. :thinking:

Is it possible to bake/roast a gammon without boiling it first?

HappyHippy

Re: Do I have to boil gammon?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:13:50 pm »
I'm sure it would be - but maybe give it an extra dose of sugar to stop it seeming too salty or soak it overnight before roasting it.
I have a receipe somewhere for a 'crust' you make to encase it before cooking - I'll dig the receipe book out and be back later with an update  :thumbsup:

I just always boil them to give a base for soup (seems a waste not to  ;))

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:29:30 pm »
yup one of my favourite recipies is baked gammon

not done with a home cured but tesco finest wiltshire cured in a roasting tin cover in foil cook as per the instructions on the label is fantastic...

when i get some pork for home curing it will be on my list to try!!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:41:02 pm »
Deffo - but must soak first ......I fished what I thought was a big pork joint out of freezer and baked without soaking (or looking very hard evidently!), it was a ham/gammon joint and boy was it salty!!!!  We ate it (well you have to dont you!!) but had to bury it in apple sauce and we were drinking A LOT for the rest of the day!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS