Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: plucking chickens- newbie question  (Read 2784 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
plucking chickens- newbie question
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:08:35 pm »
Not sure if this is in the right topic..

We did the deed on 3x 5 month boys today. Last time we skinned them as didn't have anywhere to pluck them.

I have removed 99.9% of the feathers, but the skin is covered in long, fine feathers that just won't come out!

Have I done something wrong, or is it just the time in their feather development? also how long do others rest the birds for before cooking?

any help/advice would be fab thanks!!  :)
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: plucking chickens- newbie question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:34:07 pm »
You can singe off the downy feathers by passing the carcasse over a candle flame. If they're for roasting for yourselves leave them and they will disappear with cooking.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:35:33 pm »
as sylvia says, tho i would use a gas flame rather than a candle. they do dissapear on cooking, and i suspect add a bit more crisp to the skin.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:40:49 pm »
We had a few left on the ones we had but they were for us and when carving they had gone but anything left would come off with the skin, if you pluck too rigorously the skin tears anyway!!!! I bet they taste yummy!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:26:11 pm »
Hi guys thanks for the replies!! Most did come off with cooking- didn't think of burning them off before- great idea!
Had one Sunday- very yummy! and one tonight and one for the freezer. Very pleased with them considering they were 5 month Indian game x commercial hybrid!

Thanks again Sylvia for the IG boy he is producing some lovely boys for the freezer and girls for laying!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 01:25:01 pm »
Hand held blow lamp is what we use - the sort where you just screw the torch bit on to a small gas cylinder. Easy to hold in one hand.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS