Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to make a platic dog bed liner?  (Read 8475 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
How to make a platic dog bed liner?
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:50:36 am »
I have decided to buy my retrievers some new plastic dog beds. Anyone have any ideas on how to make liners for them that go up the sides of the beds, as not too keen on the price of buying one. I was thinking of something along the lines of a "soft n snug" one that can be removed for washing, bearing in mind they are always wet. :raining:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: How to make a platic dog bed liner?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:02:31 am »
This is what I have done in the past.

Get some strong, wide Velcro and glue the hooky (less fuzzy) side to the plastic bed around the top.

Get some thick fleece, and making it double thickness, cut out a piece to fit the bottom (plus sewing seam width) and a long piece that goes round the sides, can be made up of sections if not got a piece long enough. This piece needs the sewing seam width adding at the top and bottom.

Right sides together, sew the long side piece together along the top. Turn it right way out. Sew the bottom edges of it to the oval that fits the bottom - seams will be underneath.

Sew the Velcro around the top of the side pieces.

This can then be removed and thrown in the washing machine  :)

You can be clever and make a lower bit that fits where the dogs walk in and out if you want but it's not essential, they seem to manage. If you want to, make this as a separate section of the side bit, make a paper cutout to get the shape right.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:03:39 pm by jaykay »

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:35:43 am »
Unless you have materials laying around you might find that making one yourself, by time you buy the component parts no cheaper....but just in case you do here is how I'd do it.....roughly... :innocent:

1) make yourself a paper pattern for the base and measure the sides circumference and depths. give yourself a good seam allowance..add an extra few inches to the depth to use for folding over the pet bed rim.
2) from sturdy fabric (any strong fabric should do, old fleece blankets would be good.) cut 2 base shapes, leaving a good seam allowance.
3) if desired cut 1-3 thick layer(s) of dacron type wadding also to shape, this will give you loftiness.
4) cut 2 side shapes (again using something fleecy or otherwise strong fabric, withstanding dog claws is the aim here really)
5) right sides together sew around the outer(longer) edge of your sides.. about 1/2" from the edge. TURN RIGHT SIDES OUT before sewing  a second line of stitching  to take strong elastic that will later help secure your bed lining in place. (that extra 3" turn over if you left it, should now contain a length of elastic in a narrow pocket. secure the elastic in place by turning in a seam allowance and over sewing.
6)  Sew one more line parallel to the upper edge to secure your turn over.
7) at right angles to your sewn lines sew again towards the bottom edge of your fabric, effectively you are making pockets that you can then stuff with wadding or other fluffy stuff of your choosing.
8) Once the pockets are stuffed, (you may want to do these one at a time and sew to close one by one.) manhandle the length to your sewing machine.
9) Tack your dacron fluffiness to one layer of base fabric.
10) having decided which side of your back panel is the outer side place base and dacron tacked and back panel inner side to right side..IE you want to have the dacron showing on top. sew leaving a generous seam allowance  and then snip towards sewn line to ease your curve.
11) by  now you have a large bundle and things are going to get tricky as you are going to feel in danger of sewing your nice fat pockets into the middle of the base.
12) as if capturing the pockets/ side piece, ease it on top of the dacron and sew inside the previous seam ..you should end up with a big base shaped pocket that you can then turn the right way out and finish by over sewing the opening. for extra strength adding a contrasting fabric as a binding edge would be nice.

If in doubt do it all in paper first  :fc: hope that sort of made sense.  :thinking:

If really really in doubt save yourself the hassle and buy one  :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:46:41 am »
I have made a cat bed liner by using a giant crochet hook with very thick unspun fleece.  I'm not very good at crochet but even mine had proper sides which held themselves upright so no need for velcro.  It needs to be quite a bit bigger than the bed it's to fit as it will felt and shrink a bit the first time you wash it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:58:32 pm »
Looks like I'm going to be busy, as I have 3 retrievers, not counting the collies.
Thanks all I have printed this all off to sus out the best method. :thinking: If i bought three of them it would cost me close to £90 :o  and as one of them is going to the vets tomorrow to have his hips & elbow xrayed for scoring, I don't think I can afford it this month, year!!!!!!!!!!!
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 03:04:19 pm »
I love Fleecewifes idea.

Cost wise I was looking here http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/plastic-dog-beds.html

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:36:55 pm »
Have just ordered one to have a look, Cost £20.99 plus postage. Thanks for the link, as they are the cheapest I have seen.
I find if they have a soft sided beds they lay on top of the sides, and with a mattress one of them loves to take them outside in the mud. :gloomy:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:01:25 pm »
not sure how to make a cheap dog bed liner - apart from straw!  Are they inside or out?  Our old sheepdog now departed loved her tyre bed.  Old landrover tyre with a plastic feed bag full of stuffing shoved in the middle.  Just the right size for her to curl up on, but weather proof also. She was a bit spoilt as hers was stuffed with mohair!!! (we didn't get to clip the angoras in the autumn so their wool was really matted.)
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS