Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Osb standards  (Read 2480 times)

Laurasfarm

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Wigan
    • Laura's Organics
Osb standards
« on: November 13, 2012, 02:36:48 pm »
Hi

Could someone take an expert look a my osb litter. We might keep one to replace an older sow but i don't think i have enough experience to pick the best standard.  i'll email better/closer pics the files are too big to post

We had a lovely litter of 8, and there all doing great

Thanks

HappyHippy

Re: Osb standards
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:24:12 pm »
Laura, if you want to email me the files I can resize them and post them for everyone to see  :thumbsup:

My email is kkjmckay@aol.com
Karen  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 06:23:11 pm »
best thing to do is gone on the OSB website and telephone the club secretary and she will be able to put you in touch with a breeder releatively local to you who can come and have a look in person. Photos will only give a one sided view, the pig need to be seen walking and from all angles and the underline checked.
HTH
mandy :pig:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:45:18 pm »
make sure you have pictures of their underlines as well.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Laurasfarm

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Wigan
    • Laura's Organics
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:45:50 am »
Hi Karen I have sent you an email with some pics of the piggies, thanks

I think there probably not good enough for a proper look.  My husband told me he'd taken some good close up but they look like piglet shaped blurs to me!

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:16:07 pm »
Fingers crossed this works  :fc:

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:20:42 pm »
 :excited: Gorgeous piggies  :excited:

Okay, from a breed standard point of view....
You're white one isn't registerable  :( They have to be sandy to rust coloured.
They need 4 white feet, a white blaze on their face and a white tip to the tail - so rule out any that don't have that.
Next look at their ears, they've got to be lop or semi lop - can't stick up, rule out any that have erect ears.
Next markings - they're supposed to be blotchy rather than spotty - so rule out any without the right markings.
Now move onto underlines - have a look at their teats. If any aren't even, rule them out. Then get counting - you're looking for at least 12 even and functioning teats on gilts and 14 for boars.
If you've got any left at this point you're doing well  :thumbsup:

Now you're looking for a pig (or pigs) that is healthy and showing good conformation - straight legs, level back, good deep body and has a 'presence' about it, compared to the others (you'll know what I mean when you look at them  ;))

Here are the breed standards for OSB's - good luck !

•   Size- A Medium to Large Pig.
•   Body- Long and deep with broad hind quarters and rather finer fore quarters.
•   Head- Moderately long with a slightly dished muzzle. Short or very dished face a defect.
•   Ears- Medium, semi-lop to full lop; that is, carried horizontally or lower. Erect ears are unacceptable.
•   Tail- Good length set on high with a tassel of fine white hair.
•   Belly- Deep straight underline with at least 12 (preferably 14) sound and well placed teats.
                For Boars they must have 14 teats 6 of which should be in front of the sheath.
•   Legs- Medium length, strong boned and well set on, giving a free and active gait.
•   Coat- Ground colour sandy, ranging from pale sandy to rust. Markings black in random blotches   
                rather than small spots, with sandy the predominant colour. Pale feet, blaze and tassel are             
                characteristic.
•   Additionally Boars should show “maleness” with well-developed testicles, free from lumps and
                sponginess and carried high.

Karen  :wave:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:16:06 pm by HappyHippy »

Barnsnap

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:36:00 pm »
It may be a typo on the previous post but boars need to have 14 teats – evenly spaced.   6 of which should be in front of the sheath, 8 behind.   When we say evenly spaced, think of a domino – they need to be both vertically and horizontally even.  This applies to gilts too.  For a more comprehensive guide to assessing pigs suitable for registration and future breeding please refer to the Oxford, Sandy & Black Pig Society Breed Standard leaflet, available from the Oxford, Sandy & Black Pig Society.   Colours not acceptable are black & white, all sandy, black flecks rather than random blotches, no tri colours.  No white patches on the body.  A ‘rose’ (whirl of hair) on the back is also a fault.  It may be prudent to let the litter grow on to see how they progress as they can change as they develop.   Good Luck !  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 10:16:45 pm »
Whoops  :innocent:
All changed now  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS