Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any advice on my fish cakes before I spoil them!!  (Read 4074 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Any advice on my fish cakes before I spoil them!!
« on: November 18, 2012, 11:13:55 am »
We bought a load of COD for £2 that was £12 , I breadcrumbed some and for the first time in years made proper chips, we were disapointed that although the cod was not over cooked, it had very little taste, then I decided this morning to make fish cakes out of the last one and added, again, reduced Salmon with sweet red chilli, I just mixed the fish together, cooked and again, very little taste.....anyone have any ideas? I thought about adding some smoked fish as I do have some in the freezer but the fish cakes are already growing.......What herb? condiment? spice? addition? does anyone suggest please :fc:

deepinthewoods

Re: Any advice on my fish cakes before I spoil them!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:32:01 am »
salt it sandy.
take the fillet, rub salt in both sides and leave it in your fridge for a few hours, up to a day, then when you want it, rinse off the salt then cook. it will be firmer and tasty, salt cod is traditional food for scandinavians and canadians etc. they have a point its lovely.

you could also easily smoke it yourself if you have a wok and a steamer. put your fish in the steamer on top of the wok, at the base of the wok put a good load of tea leaves and put them on the heat, once the tea leaves start smoking turn the heat down, it takes a few trys to get it right but its lovely too

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 11:37:26 am »
WOW!!  THere is always fish in the bargain isle, we both enjoy fish, I wish I could get my husband to cook again, he would be good, he used to cook all the time when we were first together (maybe thats the clue)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 12:53:49 pm »
We fish our own cod etc If you want tasty fish buy it as fresh as possible. When I make fish cakes I follow the 'Continental' Recipe by adding grated courgettes and a few chilli flakes. I make my own breadcrumbs as well by drying crusts in the oven and the grinding them, they are more flavoursome . I do freeze cod as it contains a lot of parasites and freezing kills them. Fishermen call cod the rats of the sea as they scavenge  the sea bottom and did you know most fishermen dont eat cod only haddock  cause of the parasites they see in them and how they eat. Haddock eat fresh prey. Personally I love cod and cut the worst bits out.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:58:35 pm »
If its not too late, instead of doing fishcakes, how about a fish pie. You can then add the smoked fish and perhaps a very mild cheese sauce to give it some more flavour.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:58:54 pm »
hermit, cod cheeks?? 8)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:38:51 pm »
NM, I was thinking about fish pie but then got the rainbow trout out the freezer redued to 50p for three bits!!!!!! so they are all done, with Scottish Salmon and chilli, Cod from who knows where and Rainbow trout also from Scotland.....I had some Jamie Oliver Morrocan Bread Crumbs, they are nice and have a tiny bit of mint and some chilli etc and mixed with some of my own!!!  I will let you know if they are any good.........Mum and dad used to have a house in Grimsby and fishermen there never touched Cod!!! 

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 01:39:56 pm »
ALL, of the stuff in our freezer is reduced priced food!!!

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:13:14 am »
.Mum and dad used to have a house in Grimsby and fishermen there never touched Cod!!!

They still don't :thumbsup:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 08:32:06 pm »
Well we had the last of the fish cakes tonight and they were very very nice, I made them a little large so had them today and yesterday, luckily we both are not too bothered about having the same meal over and over!! Thanks the help will be used later as we have a freezer full of fish!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS