Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Auction house wording  (Read 6585 times)

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
Re: Auction house wording
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 02:08:32 pm »
I really would not buy my 1st sheep from an auction mart. Think about it, all of the bugs and stress to which they have been subjected. Especially if you only want a few.

I would go to the auction as often as I could to get an idea of prices and what buyers are looking for, also to absorb some of the 'sheepy ambience'.  ;)
I would keep a separate pair of boots though in case I brought anything unwanted home. Such is my paranoia!

Auctions are great to sell anything that is not coming home again. It is the only true way to get the real market price on that specific day of any animal.
But I would buy from a farm that I could visit and see the parents of the stock that I was buying. OK, you will in all likelihood pay a bit more but it is worth it.

If you are lucky enough to have land that hasn't had sheep on it for many years, if you can get stock that are guaranteed free from orf, footrot, with some sort of assurance on scrapie, plus no abortions on the farm, then you can start clean and have every chance of staying clean if you keep a closed flock.

It will save you a lot of heartache down the road. You only get one chance to start a flock!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 02:27:11 pm »
Good point  :thumbsup:

I bought my first Rough Fells, Herdwicks and half my first Shetlands directly from the farm and I'm sure that was a better bet.

I recently bought a shearling and some lambs from the York rare breed sale. Wormed them, walked them through a foot bath, had a good look at them, they seemed fine so I put them in with my flock. I have just, four weeks later, got rid of the pink eye they brought with them, which has been through the whole flock! Not a sign on the sheep I bought but all the ewes and lambs I put them in with have had it, and none of the tups and wethers in the next field have.

Note to self. Restrict the things I buy from a mart, and quarantine those I do.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 06:21:38 pm »
We buy from friends and sell to friends.  Quite a few weren't friends before though!
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

scruffbag

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 09:11:11 pm »
Thanks all, I'm really appricative of all the advice. Been dealing in poultry through the auction houses for awhile. I totally agree with the comments on closed flocks, I probably will buy privatly but its a good oppertunity to look at alot of sheep and then prices they reach, therefore giving me a better idea of whats a good/bad ewe, and when the farmer i buy from says thes "£x" I can agree or disagree with some confidence.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »
Thats why the marts are useful, you know just how much culls are making on any given week.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS