Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ready, steady, cook  (Read 5624 times)

HappyHippy

Ready, steady, cook
« on: October 05, 2012, 01:55:34 pm »
Remember the programme on the telly ?

People would bring in a bag with a few bits and bobs and the chefs would turn it into a meal......

What would you do with;
Minced steak, brocolli and cheese ?

(Looking for ideas for tea  ;) :innocent:)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Ready, steady, cook
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »
got any lasagne sheets in the larder, you could do some form of lasagne with brocolli in it!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 03:06:25 pm »
Or use sliced potato layers instead of pasta for the lasagne  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:08:06 pm »
Steak and brocolli pie, either with mashed potato on top in a cottage pie kind of way, or a savoury crumble/breadcrumb type mix both of which would be lovely with a crispy cheesy topping. Or even some cheesy pastry to make it a proper pie. yum yum!

I made a brocoli and mushroom pie with cheese sauce and pastry on top last night. It was very nice, but i'm not sure how cheese sauce and steak mince would go?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:16:21 pm »
i'm not sure how cheese sauce and steak mince would go?

They go together a lot in our house  :yum: :thumbsup:

I often put cheese in the final layer of a lasagne, and I make a mince and veg pasta bake which I often put a cheese sauce on top of (kind of like a lasagne but with pasta spirals instead of sheets.)

Loving all the ideas so far, another would be burgers with cheesy brocolli, or cheese burgers with brocolli.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:38:35 am »
So what did you make in the end Karen?   :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:42:26 am »
Spag bol  :-[ ::) :innocent: (with brocolli in  ;))

But I will be trying all of the above suggestions  :yum:

Today's 'cooking challenge' is making 100+ sausage rolls (with Yonderton sausages of course  ;D) for my dad's 60th birthday party tomorrow night. And try to keep my hoard of hungry kids (little ones and big ones  ;)) away from them afterwards, so they make it to the party  :o
Wish me luck  :D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 10:04:38 am »
Just as well I'm not there as they definitely wouldn't make it to the party.  I love sausage rolls  :excited:
Happy cooking
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 04:29:02 pm »

Today's 'cooking challenge' is making 100+ sausage rolls (with Yonderton sausages of course  ;D ) for my dad's 60th birthday party tomorrow night. And try to keep my hoard of hungry kids (little ones and big ones  ;) ) away from them afterwards, so they make it to the party  :o
Wish me luck  :D

Perhaps you had better make 200 to allow for 'wastage'.   ;D

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 03:31:15 pm »
Ive just been out to my freezer to try and tidy it up a bit, and Ive discovered some thin lamb chops and a load of stewing lamb in there. So over the weekend, Im going to make a huge batch of lamb caserole to put back in the freezer for my dinners. OH wont eat it, so he can have a pie or something instead, but Im rather partial to it, it takes me back to my childhood. My Mum used to make it in a huge shallow caserole dish with tomatoes, onions and carrots with a huge layer of potatoes over the top. It was my favourite, so tasty. OOh Im drooling at the mouth just thinking about it!!!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 05:04:11 pm »
I don't eat lamb  :-\
As a kid (age 12-13) I had a 'pet' tup lamb, 'Rambo' I was old enough to know which fate he had ahead of him but my father was insistant that Rambo would be spared. So this lamb used to jump out his paddock and come and wait for me walking up the road from school, til one day he didn't  :'( From that moment on, lamb didn't pass my lips  ::)

Now, being older and more sensible (and maybe looking for reasons to keep sheep  :innocent:) I decided to get some lamb from a friend and try it out, but I didn't like it  :-\
Think I'll need to investigate lamb mince or different cooking methods, see if I can find some justification  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 08:12:51 am »
Karen, try some Castlemilk Moorit.  It's not quite like lamb, it's not quite like mutton and it's not quite like venison.  Everyone who's had some of mine who doesn't like lamb says they do like this.  One relly, who doesn't like game, does like this.  (Had seconds.)  And BH, who says he doesn't like venison, really likes this!  (Ate it four times in three days and asked for more!)  I'll bring you some next time I'm up that way.

You can cook it just like lamb, and it's fine but it does benefit from cooking with a bit of something to complement it.  I've done roast on a bed of onions, dried apricots and cranberries with herbs and white wine, and that was superb.  Navarin was okay, BH liked it, but I preferred it with a good smattering of black pepper, a glug of whiskey and a dollop of cream added to the sauce, and then reduced.  :yum:  I did the same sauce (stock, whiskey, black pepper, cream, reduce) for grilled chops, and it worked just as well. :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 10:47:50 am »
Oh yum Sally  :yum:
We've got a bit of shetland lamb in the freezer too, I'll maybe try that because Bruce loved a sheltnad lamb burger he tried, but didn't like this lamb either (I think it might have been a more commercial breed) we cooked it with garlic butter - maybe need to work on flavouring ideas a bit  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS