Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: AI info  (Read 2806 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
AI info
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:17:22 pm »
Hi can anyone give me some information on AI?  Things like cost, how reliable, how easy and how do you find someone? Any info greatly received. Many thanks.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: AI info
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 04:31:49 pm »
Hi Maddy - maybe needs a long answer... just about to go out and do the animals...
You can AI goats either DIY (but will still need semen straws stored in liquid Nitrogen) or use Innovis who do Laprascopic AI. I am about to do one of my GG's at Innovis this year.
Straws of the various breeds are kept by lots of different people and finding out about them is not always straightforward, but most of the breed societies will know what's where - what breed are you thinking of doing?
For laprascopic goats are sponged, and then injected with PMSG when sponge comes out to make sure she is at the ríght stage when they do it. From what I have heard it is done quickly and efficiently. It s very similar to sheep - I think Tim Tyne wrote an article in CountrySmallholding a wee while back.
Haven't added up the costs for mine yet - the most expensive bit is  to get the straws transported and stored somewhere. Best thing is though to be able to use a male long dead, but in your pedigree...
If you plan to do it yourself (or actually use an inseminator - BGS has got list of people having attended the course run by Christine Ball of GoatGenetics) you would also need to locate a tank for your straws.
Where in the country are you? Check out Innovis's website, the bit about sheep AI is what you need.
You are maybe a bit late to get it organised for this year though... getting the straws to where you want them can take a while... I have been doing this for most of the summer...

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:51:00 pm »
Hi, I too am interested in hearing more about the AI option. so far what I have found is pretty much what Anke says, that while the actual equipment is not very expensive the Liquid nitrogen tank is very expensive as is keeping it topped up. Finding a Billy in London is a yearly problem I face, but so will finding straws be a problem. I think there are some companies who will hire out a tank, but I have yet to find one local to me here and even if I do I need to find some straws within thirty miles.

This clip is quite interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF89Ar83M7g&feature=youtube_gdata_player
The equipment aside from the tank should be obtainable for around 100.00 and each straw costs around 25.00 if I am not mistaken.

Best
Joseph.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:21:47 pm »
The cost of straws   - depends on who owns them. Most likely you will get one quote including the transport.
I am lucky enough to live less than an hours drive from Innovis, so will be able to keep my straws in their tank.
If you are in London - is there a vet school in London? Maybe they have facilities and you could even get AI done there... it's a long shot???

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 11:15:52 pm »
Teighs in Cambridge and does AI :)

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:08:47 am »
I think I know Teigh, great guy, I was actually hoping he would show me the AI ropes, but I can't ever seem to get hold of him. I probably don't even have his number right anymore.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 06:03:24 am »
If it is important to register kids from AI service....do remember tht BGS will only recognise those kids if the AI was done by a VET or an approved BGS trained inseminator.
Contact Caprine Ovine Breeding Services.....they have a website.   There are a number of telephones numbers.
Your Vet will often store straws for you for a nominal fee........mine does.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS