Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Footbathing  (Read 18608 times)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Re: Footbathing
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 10:32:23 pm »
I rarely had limpers in the past but this year, it seems every day I go down I have another beginning of a case of scald. Lime powder has been helpful as a temp measure but what I need is some dry pasture :o) The footbath is taking an age to arrive - now been told it will come 3rd Sept so not too far off. I used to use Hoof Phast when I only had between 3 and 10 but not convenient now I am having to deal with 46!
A big part of the problem, I think, is that when I was new to it all, I took another sheep keepers advice who told me to keep the feet trimmed right back every few months! I since have been educated to realise that much less is much more in this department, but I had already been performing this task dutifully every 8 weeks for about a year so damage done! And I thought I was doing what was best from a pretty experienced keeper who had been rearing and breeding sheep (commercials) for 9 years!!! Now I only trim when they begin to limp as I understand this is correct protocol now.
I like the sound of that Golden hoof, Tilly. I will defo be looking that up. Thank you!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 05:32:59 pm »
Quick update for those interested in the footvax/footbath experiment.

After two weeks most of the serial limpers are sound or nearly sound.  One or two of the sound sheep have developed a touch of scald that seems to be sorted by a squirt of blue spray within a day or two.  Where there was a hole in a bad place on at least one ewe the formalin in a very mild concentration (I have been aiming for one per cent) has not sealed the problem area.  And after some very gentle trimming on one ewe the hoof did not appear to be any harder than usual. 

Time will tell but so far things are looking much better.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 09:23:12 pm »
I have been really impressed with Nettex Lameless foot solution that I have recently used on my small flock for the first time.  The wet weather has played havoc with quite a few of my stock, resulting in scald, and so I decided to buy a tub of lameless and mix some up in a large bucket as I do not have a footbath to run the sheep through.  I penned them all up and caught each one and bathed their hooves in the bucket.  All were very amiable expect for Lucy the Suffolk who took great exception to the whole episode.  However, after a struggle her hooves were all soaked and within 24 hours the signs of lameness have virtually vanished.   Would definitely recommend.

JUNIOR MEMBER pufflepets

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012, 09:55:54 pm »
Zak... I hear it clings on pretty well... better than other solutions. Do you think this is the case and maybe why it has been so effective?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 12:26:14 pm »
Possibly, although it is very water based as you just mix up the powder with water and then add a small amount of the bottled liquid solution.   I did hold their hooves in the water bucket for several seconds to allow the solution to penetrate inbetween the toes though.  Would have been much better with a footbath to run them all through really, but this way worked well for a small number of animals.

princesspiggy

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 07:20:54 pm »
is engymycin not the treatment for scald? if so can u not inject it aswell / instead of spraying?

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 05:06:45 pm »
Engemycin is also injectable but the leaflet (as found on NOAH) does not list any of the scald/footrot organisms, so I wouldn't use that to inject, better another one. Engemycin spray however good for foot infections.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD_Animal_Health/Engemycin_LA__200_mg_ml_Solution_for_injection/-28888.html

It must be something to do with direct contact of the medicine with affected area, if you inject it might not reach appropriate concentration in the foot where is needed.

vtsheepguy

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 04:17:40 pm »
Quick update for those interested in the footvax/footbath experiment.

After two weeks most of the serial limpers are sound or nearly sound.  One or two of the sound sheep have developed a touch of scald that seems to be sorted by a squirt of blue spray within a day or two.  Where there was a hole in a bad place on at least one ewe the formalin in a very mild concentration (I have been aiming for one per cent) has not sealed the problem area.  And after some very gentle trimming on one ewe the hoof did not appear to be any harder than usual. 

Time will tell but so far things are looking much better.

I am curious where one can buy FootVax in the U.S. ?  I read a press release on the American Sheep Industry website  (http://www.sheepusa.org/Sheep_Industry_News_Detail/newsID/4930) stating that the USDA has frozen the licensing.

After reading a study by Virginia Tech (http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/410/410-028/410-028.html) , I am eager to get my hands on the vaccine to use in combination with bathing and paring.  According tho their study this method produced the best results.

But I can't find the FootVax vaccine, and am starting to worry about our small flock of Navajo-Churros who really need help.

Any advice folks can provide on where to find the vaccine would be deeply appreciated.

vtsheepguy

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 08:35:43 pm »
I just heard back from Merck and they said "Footvax has been discontinued and our inventory is depleted."

Does anyone have any other sources?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 08:38:16 pm »
hi

this site is based in the UK and although we have members all over the world it may take sometime to get a response on something specific to the US.

good luck

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 09:52:24 pm »
I just heard back from Merck and they said "Footvax has been discontinued and our inventory is depleted."

Does anyone have any other sources?

Is your ground particularly boggy?

If not, Id suggest you start culling hard for feet - if something goes off its feet, trim, spray with terramycin or alamycin spray, mark and sell as a cull - try not to keep its daugters either, in a few generations you will have minimised your foot problems, some sheep seem naturally resistant to the footrot bacteria.

I do this and only buy off people who have this policy and this summer I can count the number of limpers I have had on one hand.

I know it sounds like a long slog, but your flock will be better for it eventually.

If hey are *all* limping then you might have the wrong breed for your farm, different sheep suit different places.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 03:57:46 am »

Is your ground particularly boggy?

If not, Id suggest you start culling hard for feet - if something goes off its feet, trim, spray with terramycin or alamycin spray, mark and sell as a cull - try not to keep its daugters either, in a few generations you will have minimised your foot problems, some sheep seem naturally resistant to the footrot bacteria. .

If your ground is boggy, do exactly the same, except don't cull the first time they have a problem, cull if they have a second problem.  So mark one colour the first time you treat a ewe, and if such a one needs treatment again, then mark her to cull. 

You can't expect them to have no problems on boggy ground - but you want to select for those which recover and develop resistance to the bugs.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 03:07:45 pm »
Cut a propcorn barrel in half down the length

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS