Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck Incubation! Please reply asap  (Read 3746 times)

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
Duck Incubation! Please reply asap
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:41:35 pm »
I have 11 silver appleyard duck eggs an 1 call duck egg in the incubator.On the internet I have read two different things in regards to the stopping of rotations near the hatch date.One source says to stop rotating the eggs 3 days before hatch date the other source says to stop rotatin the eggs a week before,Big differences so i urgently need to know which one.My incubator is a little on the short side when it comes to instruction manuals lol.Many thansk guys

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Duck Incubation! Please reply asap
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:50:06 pm »
Hi Kier

I have had many successful hatching's and the instructions with my incubator is 3 days before. However, I have had eggs start to pip the day the motor is due to be switched off, so I still say 3 days. Good luck.

James

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:03:21 pm »
3days 5 days i dought it matters as chicks formed by then.... go for 4days

Growler

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 07:39:39 am »
I incubated runner ducks and stopped turning for last three days......perfect little ducklings.

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 10:47:00 am »
cheers for ur replies guys,do u increase the humidity 3 days before aswell? I'm so excited,I'll post pics when/if they hatch

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 11:53:08 am »
I generally bang the humidity right up as soon as I move the eggs into the hatching tray, three days before due date. Have just moved a batch on Monday, most of which I could hear cheeping: all are now pipping, and I tend to spray them with a garden mister spray (water with a tiny bit of incubator disinfectant in it!) every two to three hours to ensure that the humidity doesn't drop below 50%. One of the best investments that we made two or three years ago is a digital temperature/humidity reader! Keep the humidity ideally between 60-70%, but not below 50, and you should be OK. Don't forget that from them starting to pip to actually hatching can take a couple of days - mine aren't due till Friday, and are merrily pipping away!!
Good Luck with the hatch - fingers crossed.....

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 09:25:17 pm »
cheers mine are due to hatch on the 3rd june,so a week yesterday.Will keep you posted

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 11:28:52 pm »
Pictures, please, as soon as your time allows! What colour are you expecting the call duck to be? If she doesn't fit in with the big ducks, can I have her? :&>

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 12:00:17 am »
I now have 22 out and transferred to the brooder - another 6/7 pipping - and due date is Friday (29th)...
Next hatch Sunday - fingers crossed for that one too.......
Let us know how you get on on the 3rd (or before..)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS