Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preparing for winter  (Read 7097 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: Preparing for winter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 09:48:31 am »
I wouldn't worry about insulating the arks as long as they have plenty of straw they will be fine.Year before last we had -18 and one of the sows farrowed outside[not planned] and everyone was fine. Tough old things pigs. Just seen a big soft plastic container you put in the wheelbarrow and then fill it, has a lid so no water lost and you just tip barrow to fill buckets. Will get one and try it this year, usually lost half the barrow of water by the time I get to the pigs.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 12:06:07 pm »
.... a big sealed bucket thing would be a decent thing to have on hand.  When the outdoor tap freezes or the up pipe ices up, it will be good for getting water from indoors.
We only had a fortnight of cold weather last year, but the two years before that were pretty bad.  I know I'm on for a pick axe hack into the troughs in the mornings, which is easy enough, it's just the refilling issues.  Having back up plans really.

Fingers crossed it'll be mild, although I LOVE it when we are snowed in for the odd day.  So beautifully quiet.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 12:21:59 pm »
Just wanted to ....we've brought a pair of seal  waterproof, ultra grip gloves.  Horsey friends have recommended them for being absolutely ace when you have to plunge your hands into troughs to pull out ice, that's the bit I dread   :'( being the wuss I am!

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 01:22:58 pm »
Just wanted to ....we've brought a pair of seal  waterproof, ultra grip gloves.  Horsey friends have recommended them for being absolutely ace when you have to plunge your hands into troughs to pull out ice, that's the bit I dread   :'( being the wuss I am!
You have to stay warm though - it's a hundred times worse doing the rounds if you're cold & wet  :thumbsup:

Our plan for this year is to bring everybody in to the shed during the worst of it - it makes it easier for us really, early morning and late night feeds can be done with light (providing my OH's tame sparky will come and plug us in after checking out my handywork  ;)) and on level footings and we know, without doubt that they're all snug & dry. We're also hoping that the heat they generate will help keep the water pipes flowing  ;) :fc:

I've seen the barrow bags - they look the business  :thumbsup:

My recommendation is for pull on cleats that go over your boots and give extra grip on ice - I got some 2 years ago and they're a godsend (and work on slippy mud too  ;)) Cost about a tenner but priceless for the reassurance and lack of falls  :relief:

Plenty straw and carpets or vynil strips on arc doorways (but please remember to have other ventilation too !) Veggie oil in the pigs water stops it freezing as much/makes it easier to break up I think.

Let's hope winter is kind to us when it comes  :fc:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 03:29:44 pm »
Hi folks,

Some great discussions going on here!  My 2p worth follows  :)

Submersible Heater:

There's some more info on this later on in this thread. The disadvantage is you need electricity, but if you do have that, you're laughing!  I used a 50W aquarium heater two winters ago to great effect for the hens. It was this model and cost me all of £8 delivered from Ebay.

For an IBC, you'd just drop it down inside, and try and get it near to the valve to stop that from freezing.

You can also get anti frost trace-heating tape for pipes, which you could wrap around the valve and base to keep it from freezing. More details here, other suppliers are available!.

In the end, we went for a frost free tap, instead of trace heating. It's as yet unproven, but I think it will work fine. More details on this thread.

Just thinking aloud, pigs give off quite a bit of heat. Couldn't you strap one securely to the IBC to stop it from........ ok, maybe not!  ;D

Insulation:

For an IBC, how about a few thicknesses of bubble wrap cut to make a jacket, then join with duct tape? 

Slippy shoes:

My Mum (bless!) gave me some of those elasticated shoe cover thingies last Christmas, but basically they're just a hard abrasive pad glued onto some rubber. I tried glueing sandpaper onto the bottom of some old shoes, but that wasn't a great success  ;D . Does anybody know where I could get a rigid plastic board with a rough surface from?

I have a runner friend at work who drives short versions of these screws into the soles of his shoes for winter running.

It's the raised bits of the screw heads that give the grip. I guess you'd have to get the length right, or it's going to be painful  ;D . However, I've saved an old pair of wellies to try it on, and I'll report back once we get some decent ice!

Hands:

I tend to wear these gloves in the winter, and they work ok. They don't last forever, but they're only £1.20 a pair from Screwfix, so that works out alright. They sell a longer version for £2.50 too.

OK, too many photos!  I really need to get back to work now!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

HappyHippy

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 06:52:39 pm »
Cold feet in wellies? If you know anyone who does watersports ask them if they have an old wetsuit they might be chucking out. Cut yourself some insoles from the neoprene they're fantastic.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 06:59:11 pm »
Lined neoprene wellies are super. Especially with added wellysocks

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 08:16:19 pm »
Some great posts here and "fuel" for thought. However it was so s-din cold here last year I am seriousley thinking of putting all the stock in the freezer, hanging up my snow boots and setting the alarm for every hour each night so I can flush the loo or turn a tap on so that water does not freeze in the pipes.
Imagine a 1000 litres ice cube (IBC) or the anuimals/birds water freezing within minutes. Not sure all the great tips and new info above can help. Feeling pesimistic now so I am off to apply a layer of goose fat and roll in duck feathers before putting on my combo undies for the winter - see you in April.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 09:38:30 am »

OK, have fun MAK.  Don't forget to post some photos!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS