Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Working Dog Insurance  (Read 11027 times)

Nickho

• Joined Jun 2012
Working Dog Insurance
« on: July 30, 2012, 07:28:23 pm »
Does anyone have experience of trying to get working dog insurance, in particular for sheep dogs, I have googled it and seem to find a number of forums that state there isn't much in the way of working dog insurance, or the premiums are high and that normal pet insurance wont cover working dogs. Insurers seem to be few and far between as well.

Rather frustrating so any advice or brokers that do working dog insurance would be great.

Many thanks.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Working Dog Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:06:21 am »
Have you tried the NFU I can't imagine that with the cost of a sheep dog nobody offers insurance for them.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:18:15 am »
Ours is covered under our contents policy from NFU

Nickho

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 08:08:21 am »
I'm waiting for a call from NFU to give me a quote, I just cant believe they are the only ones or there are only one or two that specifically cover working dogs. After many trawls through the internet most pet insurance quotes don't cover a dog being used as part of a business i.e. sheep dogs, sniffer dogs, rescue dogs etc.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:58:15 am »
Please let us know how you get on with the NFU, Nicko.  We have farm insurance with them, and I asked our rep about veterinary insurance for the working collies but couldn't get him to offer a quote, from which I concluded it must be ludicrously expensive for collies working on a hill farm. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:27:43 am »
My colleague has petplan, but when I looked around the insurance was over £1k :(

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 07:42:19 pm »
The NFU refused to insure my flatcoat puppy when I told the rep I was considering working him when he was older.  I didn't expect the NFU of all people to just turn us down, otherwise I wouldn't even have mentioned it.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:28:15 pm »
Has anyone tried the Kennel Club? I know lrmsliabilityplus.co.uk offer working dog insurance as I just googled that company.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Nickho

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 10:28:24 am »
lrmsliability cover liability and not illness etc. I asked for a quote from them and they replied at what level of liability I wanted>

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 12:15:19 am »
I could never get insurance for my working police dogs (because I was not the owner).  By the time they retired the cost was ludicrous and they had pre-existing conditions ??? ,  - so I just always foot the bill.

st2020

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 06:27:54 pm »
 Sorry rather late post but it might be worth trying Cliverton Insurance Brokers. I have a Explosive Detection Dog and had similar issues with no one covering a working dog, inc NFU Cliverton have covered him for about £230 though cover is much more limited than pet cover.

I agree it is mad, I think that a working dog is much less lightly to suffer ailments than a unfit overfed pet!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 05:08:42 pm »
Do you think the pet insurers check the collie works? I'm sure a vet who liked to see his bills paid would back up your 'its a pet collie, honest' story.....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 09:13:54 pm »
In my opinion dogs that work occasionally should be classed as pets.  Only those working almost every day can be classed as working dogs.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 05:59:13 pm »
I went to a working dog injury seminar earlier on this year by a vet who had carried out a fairly ind depth study with a large sample base. Basically, injuries for shoot dogs are roughly 25%. 

I wonder how pet insurance classifies working tests?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:22:35 pm by Mrs Snoodles »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 08:57:42 pm »
Working tests are no less dangerous than trials/shoot days/rough shooting/falconry.  Dogs run the same ground and risks, apart from the minimal risk of being shot.  They'd have to be among really bad shots for that to happen - or look like a fox without a tail like Allez  ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS