Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My old girl  (Read 3352 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
My old girl
« on: October 19, 2012, 12:27:58 am »
Bless her, Meg is my cross breed who is 19 and a half.  She paces a lot, clacking on the wooden floor; hasn't quite got the bowel control she used to have; and regularly tries to trip me up in the kitchen...oh and did I add that she has also scaled the Christmas every year to eat all the chocs off the tree?

But tonight I just see her as my steady companion who has seen me through an awful lot over the last near 20 years.  Just wanted to share.  I hope she lives to try to eat another load of Christmas chocolate this year.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: My old girl
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 12:51:15 am »
She sounds very special  :love: Wow, 19 1/2 is pretty good going  :thumbsup: I hope she gets to steal more Christmas chocolate too  :)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:31:46 am »
 :love: that's a grand old age for any dog  :thumbsup:

I know what you mean, your best pal through thick and thin. Always there when you need them. I watched a pup born in our house when I was 11yrs old. She was 16 when I finally let her have her last sleep  :'( she was with me through all my teenage ups and downs. She had several strokes and was senile, walking round and round the dining table by her final year. Still very happy in her own world. Oh how much I loved that dog  :love:

Just make sure those Christmas tree chocolates are of the doggie type this year  ;) and enjoy every minute with her.   :love:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:48:59 am »
Bumblebear, your post brought tears to my eyes. She sounds fantastic. So long as she isn't in pain and is still enjoying life as an old girl should then lets hope she continues.  :thumbsup:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:04:15 am »
She sounds just wonderful, old friends are the best  :thumbsup: :dog:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 01:30:42 pm »
What a lovely story. I hope she gets her contraband choccies this year too  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 05:14:12 pm »
They do say that chocolate is bad for dogs, this sort of proves them wrong.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 06:14:03 pm »
I guess she didn't eat too much  :D

Dogs are very sensitive to the theobromine in chocolate, they metabolise it more slowly than we do and it can poison, or even kill, them.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 01:04:34 am »
As I understand it, the cocoa-rich type of chocolate can be fatal to dogs, even in very small quantities.

The rule of thumb used to be no contintental choccie for dogs, British (Cadburys and the like) would be okay - partly because the cocoa content would be so small as to be insignificant.  But these days, quite a lot of chocolate has a much higher cocoa content, so I would be very very careful. 

Clearly, where a dog has been enjoying a certain brand all of its long and healthy life, there isn't much to worry about - so long as the manufacturers haven't changed the recipe too much...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 12:47:19 pm »
What a wonderful age for a dog, been well cared for and loved.  :dog:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS