Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted - pieces of felt  (Read 2122 times)

HappyHippy

Wanted - pieces of felt
« on: October 17, 2012, 07:33:40 pm »
Hiya folks,

I'm onto another wee soapy project and would like to source some felt made from native/rare breed fleece.
At the moment I'm only looking for a wee drop - perhaps the equivalent of 5, A4 sheets size-wise and some strips/yarn to secure it. Hopefully if it goes down well and passes quality control I'll be looking for bigger quantities in future.
I'd prefer to avoid dyed felt, natural hues of greys, browns, creams etc would be ideal  :thumbsup:
If anyone can help could you get in touch please  :-*
Thanks,
Karen x

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Wanted - pieces of felt
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:39:40 pm »
I have some rams going in 2 weeks, I don't take the fleeces back so I can cut some wool off and post to you if you tell me exactly what you want because I am, well,,,,, an amateur  :D

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 10:19:52 pm »
Hi Karen,

What sort of thickness of felt are you looking for? I could probably wet felt some of our fleeces from this year - we have a mix of Gotland in shades of grey, Gotland x Shetland also in shades of grey and Black Welsh Mountain x Gotland in a brownish black.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:21:51 am »
I am going on a one day felting course on 28th Oct so once I see how to do it I may be able to help.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:54:51 am »
Thanks Kitchen Cottage and Sally - I'm also more than green when it comes to sheep, fleece, spinning, felting etc and don't know that I'd have the time or ability to felt fleece myself KC :-\ I appreciate your offers but need it asap (so that the soap can be cured for Xmas) I'm always running at the coo's ar** as they say  ;) :innocent:

Clydesdale Clopper, the Gotland x Shetland in greys and black sounds absolutely ideal  :thumbsup:
I'm looking for fairly thin fleece (as above, I'm useless  :dunce: but maybe 3-5 mm thick ish - is that possible or would it be thicker ?), the plan being to wrap it around a bar of soap and hold it in place with some yarn or a strip of felt. As it's used the felt continues to felt itself and shrink around the bar apparently.
If you'd be able to help that would be great  :thumbsup: Just pm me how much you want for it and for postage and I can either pay you with paypal or send a cheque up to you. Thanks very much  :excited: :excited: :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS