Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: making ham/ bacon?  (Read 6252 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
making ham/ bacon?
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:15:28 am »
I would like to have a go at my own bacon, ham etc can anyone recommend a good book where they have tried the recipes and been successful, many thanks.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: making ham/ bacon?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:45:39 pm »
You will find quite a bit in the way of recipies and techniques on here, but Hugh FW is worth a read for sure!

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 07:26:52 pm »
Yes agree with Kate, we have only recently started processing our own pigs and HFW is very useful. Also recommend his pig in a day DVD.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:58:56 am »
Thank you, think I will order the river cottage meat book :)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 12:58:44 pm »
We've made a couple of batches of bacon now, plus hams and we have one air dried ham hanging up in the carport.  Today we fired up our smoker (which has been christened Big Betty for some unkown reason!) for the first time, and are trying to smoke some of the latest bacon.  Big Betty is made from an old barrel, with a fire box underneath (well, an old cooking oil drum!) and a pipe out of the top.  We're using oak dust which just smolders to create the smoke.  Will try to post some photos later.

Here we go

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 05:02:36 pm by MrsJ »

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 04:01:08 pm »
Thanks! that looks really interesting, let us know how it turns out, good luck! i'm ordering the river cottage meat book, hopefully it will have easy recipes for me to follow, i'm confused with dry cure, wet cure, air dried, boiled and cooked! :-\  i would just like to produce my own ham rather than keep paying for sub standard expensive supermarket rubbish! will let you know how it goes!

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 04:45:19 pm »
ham and eggs!
a days work for a chicken.
a life changing experience for a pig? :pig:
I would love to have a go at both bacon and ham.
have tried salami, nearly right, but no cigar.
need to make a larder cupbord in the garage to do these things first.
my family are getting fed up of just pork. must try harder.

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 02:48:39 pm »
Dixie - don't use the River Cottage Meat Book. I went on the river cottage smoking and curing course and Ray pointed out that several of the recipes in the meat book are wrong. (He was not consulted before publication). If you use the recipes on the RC website you should be ok.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS