Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Haw jelly  (Read 3714 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Haw jelly
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:48:00 pm »
Before I try and make this can you let me have your thoughts, is it nice? OH Says it's not nice so not to bother, I don't think she's ever had it (jelly that is fnarrr fnarr), is it worth my time & effort?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Haw jelly
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:51:34 pm »
Hi Alistair  :wave:
Never tried Haw jelly, but Rowan Berry jelly  :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:58:44 pm »
It's awesome.  :thumbsup:

Really awesome.  :thumbsup:

We made some with a friend last year and brought it to the family christmas dinner, jar was finished by the end of the meal, the kids loved it.

I just made another batch this weekend with this recipe, and it turned out great, slightly too set and slightly too sweet for me but worked for lots of people (we had 7 visitors this weekend).

http://www.network54.com/Forum/217936/thread/1224368048/last-1225319445/Hawthorn+hoisin+sauce

So far we have found it works well with a range of meats (duck, lamb, turkey, chicken) and I'd imagine it would go well with game. It also works on your cereal with some natural yoghurt, spread on toast or eaten from the jar with a spoon. Didn't have any other serving suggestions yet but don't doubt we'll get some. I say it is certainly worth a try. Just don't taste it until after the sugar has gone in!

Dans

9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:05:35 pm »
Righty - ho, thats Thursday sorted then, not sure about going with meats though, OH is a vegetarian with vegan tendencies, doesn't like meat in the house, that from a butchers daughter, you wouldn't credit it, father in law should never have taken her to the abattoirs when she was 8...

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:12:04 pm »
I'm sure there's other things it would go with. I'm just a little meat orientated so its the first thing that comes to mind.

It can be hard work actually getting the flesh off the haws but it's worth it. I used the hand held bit of the pestle and mortar (I can never remember which is which) and a sieve, held over a pan to collect the pulp.

Good luck!

Dand

www.sixoaks.co.uk

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:51:29 pm »
Never tried Haw jelly but agree with Beewyched on the Rowan Berry jelly.  :thumbsup:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:20:15 am »
Haw jelly is lovely, on toast for breakfast or with roast chicken. Haw ketchup is even nicer as is haw wine :)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 11:40:18 am »
ooo think you shall have to share recipes Sylvia  :thinking:

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Mel

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:35:27 am »
I am going to try to make this today,sounds lovely  :thumbsup: ;D

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 01:54:01 pm »
we make a jam/jelly with haws, blackberries and sloes very good and what a colour

just experement
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS