Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: skin tanning - problems with Devonian Products  (Read 14595 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: skin tanning - problems with Devonian Products
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 05:47:51 pm »
"Fleshing Out" and Curing the Hide

Position the sheepskin on a flat clean work area with the wool facing downwards. Spread the skin out so there are no creases and folds.

Scrape any flesh and meat from the skin with a sharp knife. Lift the meat from the skin with a scraping motion. Pull the meat away carefully so as not to tear the skin.

Place the scraped hide in a plastic tub. Cover the entire surface of the hide with non-iodised salt until there is approximately a half-inch layer of salt over the hide. Allow the hide to cure for four days. Clean the hide with a wire-bristle brush to remove the dried salt.

Tanning the Sheepskin

Put on rubber gloves to protect your hands from the tanning chemicals. Fill a 5-gallon bucket with 1 pint of salt and 59.1ml of oxalic acid.

Place the sheepskin on the work area with the wool facing downwards. Dip the paint brush into the solution in the 5-gallon bucket and paint the bare side of the hide. Fold the hide in half to keep the hide moist from the solution. Repeat the procedure daily for four days in total.

Fill the washtub with warm water and 2 cups of sodium bicarbonate. Place the hide in the mixture and allow it to soak for approximately 1 hour.

Put on the rubber gloves and remove the hide from the mixture. Empty the washtub and fill the tub with clean water. Mix in a scoop of washing powder and submerge the hide in the mixture.

Run your glove-protected hand along the bare side of the hide to rinse the hide. Rinse the hide thoroughly to remove any sodium bicarbonate.

Place the hide in a sunny location to allow it to dry completely. Hold onto one end of the hide while a helper holds the opposite end. Pull on the hide simultaneously with your helper, in opposite directions, to stretch the hide. Repeat this procedure daily until the hide is completely dry. Be sure to stretch all four sides of the hide.

Apply glycerine saddle soap to the hide. Rub the soap in thoroughly.

I found this. Doesn't sound too hard......?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 06:12:49 pm »
Read with much interest Jaykay till No 6 - Place the hide in a sunny location - could be a bit of a tough one at the moment!! :innocent: :innocent:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 06:18:53 am »

No it doesn't!  Has anyone tried it?

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 08:48:59 am »
What do you do with the fleece side? Is it just a case of brushing, brushing and more brushing until its nice and fluffy?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 10:22:25 am »

No it doesn't!  Has anyone tried it?

I think that point 6 uses very few words to describe a whole lot of work  :thinking: :D

To get your skin soft and supple it needs to be 'worked' and worked and not allowed to get crispy.  I think there are various ways to do this, including using a rounded stone, but I haven't done it myself
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS