Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mobile Field shelter  (Read 10144 times)

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
Mobile Field shelter
« on: May 11, 2009, 12:58:01 pm »
Hello All,

I am sure someone will have asked this question at some point before (so apologies) but i need to put a mobile field shelter in a field for alpacas  and am wondering what the position is regarding planning. We would genuinely move the shelter around to suit weather conditions.

I phoned the council (Chilterns District) today and got the very unhelpful response of 'it depends. Submit a full application and we will consider the merits.' The full application means site surveys etc etc.

It is land registered (and limited) for agricultural use only, houses across the lane that look on to the field but fields on all other sides.

Frustrating that when you try and do the right thing you get a blind ally. Any thoughts or experiences that can be shared would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Sally

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
Re: Mobile Field shelter
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:12:12 pm »
I am by no means an expert on this, you'll probably get better advice for more knowledgeable people than me on this site but i would have thought as it is a "mobile" shelter no planning would be needed. I've given up with the planning office around here, it all depends on who you know and how much you pay them if you want anything passed, and half the time the left hand doesn't know what the right doing.  ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 01:22:22 pm »
I totally agree - they can be little tin gods sometimes.  I was definitely told in Scotland that if it can be moved it does not require planning consent - we put up a large double garage/store shed and were told 'go away and don't bother us with trivial things like big sheds lol
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dannyonthefarm

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Biddulph Moor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:56:09 am »
The others are right as long as its mobile it dose not need planning permission... Would just like to say that I had a couple of alpacas and they never used there shelter.

Hope this helps

Danny

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:38:44 pm »
Thank you. I think we will just get it fenced, get the animals and get on with it! Our field is very windy and when it rains is horrible .........but maybe the shelter is more for my sensibilities then the animals! Thank you all

Sal :pig: :llama:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:46:55 pm »
If it's a shed for agricultural use on an agricultural holding as opposed to a building fro equestrian use, this was the advice I got from our planning department

* Is the building for an agri purpose on an agri unit  of more than 0.4Ha?
    * Would the building plus any others erected in the last 2 years exceed 265sqm?
    * Would any part of the building be within 25m of a metalled portion of a classified road?
    * Would the height of the building exceed 12m?

If the answer is NO to all of these questions, then no PP is required. 

Hope this helps.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:43:11 pm »
Where I live, which is on the edge of the Peak park (but not in it, maybe a couple of miles away) and an area of special beauty, the local council are really difficult when you want to put stabling or field shelters up.  I have been turned down for stables and they are not happy about field shelters either.

My goats and llama have an open fronted shelter we built ourselves, and waited with bated breath for complaints, but go away with it.  I have been in discussion with the council about a field shelter and they are not very helpful at all with saying yes or no.  I get the feeling that perhaps there is nothing they can do if its open fronted and no door, but they are not saying so.  I know if its mobile and you can prove it moves - if its on skids, the council cannot stop you.

I know that horses are domestic pets in the eyes of the council.  If you can fit stables in your garden, you do not need planning permission.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 12:49:58 am »
Roxy - do you live in Macclesfield?
Karen

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 10:55:49 pm »
No, I am in Derbyshire, but just about 12 miles or so from Macclesfield.  I have just seen your post in introductions, and I think we must be pretty close to one another .......
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:58:29 pm by Roxy »

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 12:58:57 pm »
Just reading your post with interest.  We live in exmoor national park and we are building a stable block and tack room in our garden and had to apply for PP we were also told we couldn't put up a field shelter mobile or otherwise in our field for our cows  and we had to remove a kennel that we had put up even though it was replacing an existing building.  Needless to say we are adding an extra bit to the back of our stable for the cows and we hope no one will notice. The powers that be!!!!!! ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS