Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone selling dorper. Sheep?  (Read 2544 times)

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
Anyone selling dorper. Sheep?
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:16:14 pm »
Hi,
I've been interested in getting a small starter flock of these, preferably the black headed type, anybody know of a breeder in Scotland or midlands? 

Mandy

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Anyone selling dorper. Sheep?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 07:34:14 am »
Our neighbour used to have them (they are very experienced sheep peeps, got them cos of reputed good feet etc) but the ones he had (which were registered etc) turned out to have rotten feet over time- so they went back to only having Lleyns.
That isnt meant to try to put anyone off them, just that it is worth checking feet thoroughly despite the breed reputation for good pins!
hope you find a breeder/supplier nearby. 

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:24:12 am »
If you're coming to the Smallholder Festival you might meet a lady who has some  ;) She's up Forfar way and her name escapes me at the moment  :-[ Rosemary will be along soon though  ;D
I'm not 100% certain if she's coming along - but  :fc:
Karen  :wave:

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:05:33 am »
Might also be worth asking Wyn and Siwan Harries from Hope Dorpers if they know of anyone.  I do know they travel to Scotland quite frequently and they are very helpful and approachable.  http://www.dorpers-hope.co.uk/default.html

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 12:45:31 pm »
Thanks guys have been looking at the hope dorper website and they look like cracking good sheep, seem to be doing well showing too, was hoping their might be someone closer so I could have eyes and hands on before I commit to purchasing. Might well get in touch though, I'm hoping to come to the smallholders meeting and believe Astra sheepdogs have the white ones, will see when I get their

Mandy

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:52:50 pm »
Yes, Astra sheepdogs - that's the one I'm thinking of :thumbsup:

Grove Farm

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Redditch
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 09:06:38 pm »
Hi There - We have 2 Dorper Rams for sale. Contact us for more info OK. www.grovefarmdorpers.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS