Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thank you to Michael Churchouse for shearing our sheep!  (Read 2857 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Thank you to Michael Churchouse for shearing our sheep!
« on: September 24, 2012, 01:20:32 pm »
The Singing shearer wasn't available to help us on short notice with tidying up our scruffy pooey grey faced dartmoors (who love flies!) so we tried this guy.
I would highly recommend him. He bought his two sheep dogs which made short work of rounding up our sheep (which although pretend to be bucket trained, seem to know when there is something happening and scatter themselves all over the place and refuse to be caught).
He was very friendly and reasonably priced. He also was very patient and held them while I drenched them and checked them over and gave us some useful advice.
Our girls and Bernard all look neat and tidy and much happier now, although I think they will all be cozeed up in the stable tonight as the weather has turned a bit rotten down here.
Anyhow, here are his contact details if you are ever in need of a shearer.
mail@sheersheep.co.uk

Cheers

P

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Thank you to Michael Churchouse for shearing our sheep!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 01:59:31 pm »
He bought his two sheep dogs which made short work of rounding up our sheep (which although pretend to be bucket trained, seem to know when there is something happening and scatter themselves all over the place and refuse to be caught).

Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup: [size=78%]..AND the above really made me smile - JUST like my sheep.  Eat out of your hand daily - but try to catch them to DO something....[/size] :innocent:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:31:26 pm »
He's a local fixture, known to all round here and based near Leighton Buzzard.  He doesn't do politically correct and makes me laugh.  Also has a huge range of sheep breeds and will lend tups - he does have a GFD tup but he's very keen on Charolais.

Totally recommended - he was round here a couple of weeks ago tidying ours.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:56:22 am »
Thanks, this is really useful to know. We're near Towcester so not toooo far from Leighton Buzzard and he may be able to do our tiny flock. They won't be going to the local sheep farmer again after our GFDs came back covered in gashes. I've felt a bit sorry for them with the recent cold weather and I've resorted to putting a dog coat on the one who's been poorly - much to the amusement of our neighbours and passing walkers who think I'm barmy  :)
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:45:13 pm »
He does travel and turns his hand to other jobs as well.  We decide not to let the GFDs go through another winter with full coats because their undercarriages last year were so claggy that the lambs couldn't find the necessary kit.  To be honest I couldnt find the kit either...

So they've been mown rather than shorn.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS