Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Uh oh....Found one silkie angel wing in pig pen....  (Read 2367 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Uh oh....Found one silkie angel wing in pig pen....
« on: September 23, 2012, 10:59:27 am »
Poor little silkie chick I thought, it must have been trod on or got at by something else, but my girls wouldn't do it on purpose.  Then last night hubby saw them actively chasing down the silkies that usually go in to eat with them!  Is this normal? Are they hungry? They certainly looked as if they were enjoying the chase  :innocent:

robert waddell

Re: Uh oh....Found one silkie angel wing in pig pen....
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 11:25:45 am »
pigs will eat anything even you if you were to stumble in there pen  you would be there next meal

pigs are the recyclers and converters  of the farm    it is just getting it over to all the new pigkeepers  what they are capable off

well fed pigs will sleep all day converting there food to meat or fat depends on the breed :farmer:

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 11:43:08 am »
Awwww, they love me :D they wouldnt eat meeeeee  :eyelashes:; on a serious note I just wanted reassurance that they werent hunting because they were underfed - so do you think they need a bit more food?  They have loads of grass to turn over and root through and are fed twice a day and sometimes scraps (windfalls etc) too.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:49:46 am »
In my area the older folk always said that pigs would eat small children and to be careful to keep them out of the pig pens.  Don't know why they said that  -  but they did.  :thinking:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Rhodie

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 03:54:41 pm »
Pigs love variety, I had some pigs on ad lib feed eat the occasional free range chickens, and outdoor sows taking pheasants that fell in their paddocks during a shoot, after their morning feed.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:53:47 am »
My half grown bantam chicks have always squeezed through the wire and got in with the Kune Kunes after their food.  I was a bit worried at first, they may be trodden on, or worst still, eaten ....but the pigs seem used to them.  Worry is now the hens will drown in the thick mud with all this rain, when they venture in the pigs pen!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS