Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Iron shot for piglets?  (Read 2705 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Iron shot for piglets?
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:44:10 pm »
Hi there :)
Can someone pls advise...?
Just getting a farrowing kit together and was wondering about iron shots for the piglets.
 I have left a barrow full of soil within the inside farrowing area and inside the creep/creche bit, but do I also need to inject my piglets with iron?   
The piglets will be on concrete for a couple of weeks. I am happy to transport a barrow daily or whatever is necessary, if this is sufficient.

Thanks

HappyHippy

Re: Iron shot for piglets?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:52:02 pm »
If you're giving soil, some folk will tell you there's no need for iron - and it is completely up to you loads of pigs are born, raised and do really well without it  ;) :thumbsup:
But we do iron jab ours at 3 days old as well as giving earth.
I read something a while back (might have been in pig world magazine, I'm not sure) where they did a comparitive test in pre and post weaning weights on piglets born and reared outdoors - some with iron jabs and some without. This showed higher weight gains and lower mortality amongst the group which had the additional iron jab - although this was geared at the commercial sector with huge numbers of sows and piglets, it was enough to convince me that an £18 bottle was worth it  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »
We never used to iron jab our traditional breeds, but we will be doing the meishans. Both lots will and always had soil within a few days. I just want to be on the safe side with the meishans. We never lost a piglet to anemia.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:11:13 pm »
We iron jab all ours, as Happy hippy says for the cost of it it's worth doing and it isn't too much hassle, just a bit of squealing and that's usually from daughter as she gets covered in marker spray by me  ;D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:33:47 pm »
Yep - me too  :thumbsup:
Tho ... I must admit to not doing my OH's OSB litters - my OH was in hospital when they should've been done & I didn't really get on very well with the mums  :o - so they just got a couple of divits for the first fortnight, until they were creep feeding ok - though I think the mums got more of it than the piglets.
Didn't seem to do them any harm  :innocent:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 07:44:03 pm »
we have tried both ways not a bit off difference and we weight record  :farmer:
you can get it cheaper than £18  but depends on size :farmer:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 08:41:32 pm »
Thanks all. Phew... I'd rather not inject simply from a safety point.  A bit worried about getting out of the farrowing area super quickly if they squeal and Mum isn't happy about it  :o. Our hurdles are high and I'm not errrrrr....let's say, overly agile  :eyelashes:.     The parting words of that American pig farmer I met yesterday were.....'just remember, they are HER piglets, not yours. They squeal, get out, quick'  :o

I'll get digging tomorrow. make a nice big mound to tip in a bit everyday.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS