Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you tell which are hens and which are cockerels? ( Chicks)  (Read 15367 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: How do you tell which are hens and which are cockerels? ( Chicks)
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 10:22:02 am »
oh - I'm cross.  I just typed a long answer and decided to use spell check which I don' usually do and it lost my reply   :rant: >:( :rant:

Anyway - much more briefly.  Birds which look like Cuckoo Marans can be anything unless you have sourced them from a really reliable breeder.  Contact The Marans Club for leads if you are serious.

The sex links only work between "brown" and "black" birds, so if either line is not pure, even at some time in its past it is not certain as to what the pullets will look like.

Genetics are pretty complicated, and I am only just getting my head round some of it.  But this is a link to a genetics calculator - but again it will only work if you know exactly what you are putting into it. 
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm

There is so much interbreeding and even if they are sold as such to the first purchaser they sometimes do not let on further on down the line, and so many people purchase from auctions, and assume from the look of the bird what they are buying.  Which is not a problem except when you get further on down the line of wanting to breed for certain characteristics  :)

And if there are any spelling mistakes in this put it down to crossness at having to re-type.

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 10:39:12 am »
Many thanks DBE.  I hate it when that happens!   No our chicks are just hatched by us from some friends eggs - in no way am I expecting them to be pure (nor will we ever be selling any)!  However they are looking EXACTLY like the pics which I am surprised about given they are crosses.  My only concern currently is ID ing the cockrels so that I can not get too attached and  fatten up to eat!!  If we ever decide to go purebreed, we'll be knocking on your door!  Many thanks, Fi xx

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 11:44:20 am »
I watch for growth in the combs and particularly the wattles.  If a smallish bird has pronounced and slightly reddening wattles it is "almost" always a cockerel. 

Other ways to check is cockerels stand taller and more vertical, pullets more horizontal, and tend to drop their head when a hand is approaching.  Also cockerel have bigger feet and thicker legs, and the little buds which will be the spurs show more quickly.

Good luck with it - I tend to give most things the benefit of the doubt just in case - pure bred Marans are notoriously difficult to sex.  :-\
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS