Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My First Chickens  (Read 2050 times)

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
My First Chickens
« on: May 23, 2009, 08:18:26 pm »
Well I have finally taken the plunge and got my first chickens today. It seems such a long time since I done Rosemary's poultry course. I now have 4 Isa Warrens, a year old from a Fife farmer whom James very kindly put me in touch with. I only wanted 3 but there was 4 on offer so how could I refuse. They seem to have settled in very quickly in the run although I wonder what they think of being moved to a garden in the south side of Glasgow compared to their previous home!
I have had a great first day with them and have just put them to bed which was fun.
Thanks James for your help and your hospitality this morning.
JD

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: My First Chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 09:54:14 pm »
JD I am delighted your hens have settled in and you had great fun getting to know them. I hope it won't be too long before you start getting eggs. We went to the Fife show and it stayed dry for the time we were there but it did threaten a few times. I thoroughly enjoyed it and they had so many hens/cockerels of all different shapes and sizes. Personally I didn't like the show tent where they were judged as they were stuck in tiny small cages with massed of people passing by looking at them. They also had 2 geese that were in a tint ring and didn't have any food or worse a bowl of water. I would never show my birds if that's standard treatment. Hope your hens keep bringing you joy, you are welcome back anytime.

James

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: My First Chickens
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:03:32 pm »
Congratulations! Enjoy your first egg when it comes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS