Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Providing a home for hedgehogs  (Read 3267 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Providing a home for hedgehogs
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:40:02 pm »
We have plenty of hedgerows, woods and log piles and would love to give a home to hedgehogs.

They can share the slugs with our chickens.

There's lots for them here.

How do we go about introducing hedgehogs onto our smallholding?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Providing a home for hedgehogs
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:49:23 pm »
In the three years that we have been here , we've only seen one  :'( .
Think they aren't doing well. Did I read that they thought it was climate change?
My neighbour was chatting about this a while ago. He has a bit of a wildlife garden and was thinking of approaching one of the hedgehog/wildlife charities to ask if his garden would be suitable as a release site.
Maybe a possibility  ???

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 11:41:19 pm »
Ask at local vets and wildlife sanctuaries. Explain you will take any new releases  :excited: I've overwintered many over the years before children came along.

The problem I had was finding release areas. All my relatives and OH's had them released with cat food backup until they established themselves  :love: it has been roughly 10 years since any release here and we have mum and babies in our bushes. My son ( quadzy  on here )  built a hedgehog home from scrap,wood months ago. Now very excited at having our own family hopefully moving into his box over winter  :fc:

And the slugs have reduced dramatically  :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 01:24:22 am »
Be aware, SQ, as you have chickens - they don't just eat slugs, they also eat eggs and baby chicks.  :'(

We became inundated with them; they seemed to like it under the pallets under the hay.  Since they snatched two whole breeds of chicks, I am afraid we gave them notice to quit!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:07:04 am »
I built a hedgehotel (OK, plywood box) for my Mum's garden, and they've used it quite a bit, both overwintering and raising babies in it.  Plenty of plans online, or find one on sale for £160 at your local garden centre, and copy it!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

robbiegrant

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cupar. North East Fife
  • The Mighty Kroshka!
    • Exclusive Luxury Holiday Villa for Rent in Goa
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 02:36:38 am »
Hi Womble. I raised a hedgehog by hand when I was a kid... Read my ramblings on Goosepimples OTTER thread if you like. He never gave any of our birds any bother. Tho they are clever scavengers and good climbers!
Cupar weather http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=cupar
Goa weather http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/43192.html
Escape to paradise - http://www.vaastuvillagoa.com

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:33:05 am »
Apparently one of the big problems hedgehogs have in suburban areas is that they need to have a fairly large range, but garden fences are barriers.  Yes they can climb, but not over board fencing or chainlink.  It used to be that people would often have gaps under the fence which the hedgehogs could get under and they could range happily, but no longer.

As Sally found at hers, hedgehogs here hibernate in the pallets under our stored hay.  This is nice and cosy for them, but drives our terriers wild  :dog: :dog: .  They do anything to get to them and end up stuck.  On more than one occasion my OH has had to dismantle a whole stack to rescue an idiot dog.  And of course when they find the hedgehog it's rolled up tight and all they get is a prickled nose and the chance to yap endlessly  ::)

A neighbour tried rehoming a hedgehog but I think it was too young and beyond their skill as it died.  There were plenty to rehome when they were killing them in the Western Isles for their predation on ground-nesting birds' eggs
We have been lucky in that we have never lost eggs or chicks to hedgehogs.....yet  :eyelashes:
We love them and would always try to give them a home.

SQ - are there plenty around in your neighbourhood or would you need to import some?  If so you will need males and females for a viable population.  It would be a good idea to consult with a nature organisation who know the local situation, and the possible effects on other wildlife if you were to introduce hedgehogs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:35:04 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 11:05:59 pm »
In the three years that we have been here , we've only seen one  :'( .
Think they aren't doing well. Did I read that they thought it was climate change?
most likely pesticides, herbicides and slug pellets. tidy gardens?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS