Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe with large "sloshy" belly  (Read 6086 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Ewe with large "sloshy" belly
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:34:04 pm »
Okay, I have a ewe, who for whatever reason didn't do so well after lambing - she started to shed her wool (starting at spine and working downwards) about a month or two before lambing, and by a couple of weeks after lambing it was practically all shed.  Wasn't sure of the cause of the shedding, treated for lice and scab as my neighbours sheep looked quite iffy.  After lambing she seemed to bloat up a lot, which I treated her for about three of four times.  Eventually the bloating stopped.
Ever since then though she's had like a big belly, which looks to slosh around when she walks (waddles).
In hindsight I should have given her some rumen stimulant when she started the bloating business.
Other things of note, for some reason she bleated very loudly every time she strained whilst giving birth (non of my other sheep have ever done that).  She was a first time lamber (2yr old).  Lambs weren't abnormally large or anything.  She's a greedy guts, throughout all of that her eating and pooing was fine. The lambs haven't done as well as all my other lambs, although they did have a spot of orf in the first month, but not badly, she had it on her teats a bit, but she still let them suckle ok.  Nice big udders actually.  Started on Heptevac pre-lambing, jan & feb doses.  Lambed late march.

So, do I need to worry about the sloshing belly?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ewe with large "sloshy" belly
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:28:34 pm »
Hard to tell without seeing , look up ASCITES see if any thing fits, very rare but iv'e seen it 3 times

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:41:50 am »
Hmm, possibly.  I was originally thinking some sort of chronic acidosis.  I think that she has been slowly improving over the summer, she now just looks a bit portly.  She was already quite low hung anyway, so I guess that makes it look worse than perhaps it is.

How did you treat those cases that you've seen shep53?  Or was it a matter of determining what the original trigger was?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 10:32:20 am »
I've never heard of ASCITES before so looked it up.  Looks like it is often as a result of liver problems - for which in a sheep, you would suspect fluke.

Sadly once fluke have damaged a sheep's liver you can't repair it, but at least, if she hasn't been fluked recently it wouldn't hurt to fluke her.

:fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:08:47 am »
She was fluked from October last year until May this, and is otherwise healthy, and putting on weight :).

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 01:10:12 pm »
I know you won't want to hear it , but if she is at the moment healthy and gaining condition I would sell her now before any serious problems arise.     Couple of points  _ sheep in the early stages of liver damage ( as with  people ) can put on weight   ROBERT BAKEWELL used water meadows to fatten killing sheep .  There is no cure for ascites the fluid builds up in the abdomen over a long period until the sheep   can no longer stand because of the weight  .   Because liver flukes do physical damage to the liver it can actually heal it's self  unlike liver disease's which it can't repair  (my wife has liver damage so have had many discussions with specalists

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:51:04 pm »
Hi, cann't add anything to the sloshy belly.
But one of my ewes cried out this year while lambing, for the first time. I was concerned, but by the time I'd got my kit & returned she was OK. When I looked it up, thought it might have been ringwomb ( or something like that without checking) - it's where the womb constricts at the neck & makes it difficult for the ewe to lamb - I think they usually may need assistance, but this time I didn't need too - will just keep an eye on her next time just in case.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 09:35:45 am »
Hmm, interesting idea about ringwomb.  I shall keep an eye on her at lambing time, and I will be keeping an eye on her weight over winter too.  I think she's just a fatty :).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS