Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GUTTED but looking to maybe sell Holly :(  (Read 4894 times)

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
GUTTED but looking to maybe sell Holly :(
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:07:21 pm »
Don't know if anyone read my previous posts about Bella our goat being stolen. Well the travellers were originally after Holly our miniature Falabella. She is from Looking Glass Stud and is a real beauty.
We love having her but our garden is only 1/3 acre, I take her out for a gallop most nights and she went to a field near a shop on weekends. So all was going well until those blimin travellers!

Now they have approached me several times to buy her and they would have followed me home the night Bella was taken to see how we get in and out of tha gate.

Since the whole thing happened I haven't taken Holly to the field for the weekend and only for one gallop in the field. I feel like there is always someone watching me.
LAst week the police knocked down next doors gate as a burglar was stealing satnavs. It was at 4am and frightened us all. They made us stay indoors as the person was hiding in the garden, police dogs the lot were out.

Now every noise I hear at night I think someone is breaking in. I know you should ignore it and not let the arseholes win but I think about it all the time, and am at home with the kids most of the time.

I am thinking of selling Holly so there is no reason for anyone to come here. She doesn't go out as much so isn't get as much exercise as she should either.

Now I don't know the best way to go about this, there are loads of horses on preloved and I am guessing people aren't buying too much at the moment.

Oh I don't know what to do  :-[
Any advice? She is our first horse so we are novices at the whole thing  :-[
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Victorian Farmer

Re: GUTTED but looking to maybe sell Holly :(
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:26:39 pm »
The first thing speak to princesspiggy she will tell you haw to go  about this .its not good all this hassle and being scared at night if i ever got into that i would use the gun ,no problem i dont like people to start so it wouldn't be a problem shooting some one .You should be able to live Happy no crime here as it should be

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:33:36 pm »
Oh I'm so sorry to hear of this WF, after all you have been through.  I'm afraid I can't help as I live too far away but I hope you find a solution to this dilemma you find yourself in.  :bouquet:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:28:05 pm »
Had you been closer I would have been very interested in either buying or helping you out.
We have a 3/4 bred american miniature and although she has the big horse for company she really could do with something her size
Graham

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 09:56:43 pm »
Thank you all, we don't have a trailer so transporting is an issue  :-\
She really is an amazing horse, my 1 year old used to pull himself up to standing on her leg when he was learning to walk, she used to stand so still and sniff his hair :)
(Very closely supervised of course!)
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 12:47:30 am »
I think its so sad that have been made to feel the way you do.  All of us with livestock are at risk from thieves, no matter how good our security is.  If they want it badly enough, they find a way.   I assume you keep your gate locked?  Signs saying you have cameras up/guard dog?  Like I said, no guarantee to stop them, but may deter.

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 08:15:40 am »
is it a permanant travellers site or is there the chance they will be moved on at some point (hope so) if it is the latter could you find someone to look after her untill then, really feeling for you  :hug:

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 08:30:47 am »
i was thinking the same thing, just move her away for a while until the danger of her being stolen is passed?

wish i was closer, she could have come to me for a while to keep her safe!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 10:03:02 am »
Just dreadful, can't imagine how in the depths you're feeling. Is there no-on on the forum who can house your babies for short term until the threat has passed, so it LOOKS like they've been sold?

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 10:03:48 pm »
This is such a dreadful story, if i was closer i would offer a place for her to stay until the threat of her being stolen passed. I hope someone is able to help you out. I sorry to here about your poor goat aswell.

Your situation make me feel really sad, I hope you get her sorted out and safe.

Emily.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »
They will play the waiting game, can you put her away for a few months to a safe place. its terrible that you feel so unsafe but this goes on all over the country. Gerry Hart who runs the Shetland Pony Web site had 2 foals taken a few years ago and they were never found.

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 10:44:15 pm »
No action taken yet, still trying to commit to either selling or keeping. Have no computer at moment - disaster! Online by phone is a pain !

When computer back will have to get ads out there

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 11:21:57 pm »
What happened to Bella, the goat? Have you still got her?

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 10:46:53 am »
Don't use preloved for your falabella, you will be more likely to get stressed with the idiots who ring you and also another route to maybe getting her stolen.

I feel for you. I have been worried about your horse since Bella was stolen.

Consider a loan. Or advertise on one of the horse websites. I have messaged you. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS