Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to cook a chook  (Read 3396 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
How to cook a chook
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:33:43 pm »
As many of you folks know, we are still waiting for our landlord to replace the oven & I'm seriously starting to experience meat depravation  :(
We've also got half a dozen "boys" ready for the "chop" too & although we can put some in the freezer, it would just be great to have some fresh meat  :yum:
Does anyone have any tried & tested "top of the stove" recipes, that's not overly complicated & the chicken tasting like chicken - thanks  ;D

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: How to cook a chook
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:20:43 pm »
I have an old cockerel I am cooking today.  I took the breast meat off and used it for stir fries very thinly sliced with fresh garden veg and a bit of chilli and soy sauce

The wings and legs I marinaded by putting the pieces in a polythene bag, adding some oil and balsamic vinegar and lemon juice with salt and pepper, tying a knot in the top and moving it around a bit to get everything well covered in the marinade.  Left it in the fridge for 3 or 4 days moving it about a bit every day so the marinade covers everything. 

Today I have prepared some onion, fried the chicken pieces in some left over pork fat I had (you could use oil) added the onions, marinade and some fennel and celery stock I had made and frozen last season (you could use a chicken stock cube)

I shall simmer this gently for 3 or 4 hours, adding some sliced field mushrooms for the last hour.

When it is tender, adjust the seasoning and add a bit of mushroom ketchup if needed.

Sorry I don't have quantities as I have been cooking too long to bother,  :innocent:  but if you need more info I shall try and work it out    :eyelashes:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 04:26:46 pm »
Thanks  :thumbsup:  - will definately give this a try, sounds scrummy  :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 05:37:29 pm »
Classic coq-au-vin can be done in a casserole pot on the top of the stove  :)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »
Just eaten it with some saute potatoes, courgettes thinly sliced longwise and gently cooked in sesame oil, and some young runner beans all from the garden.  Considering it was an older cockerel it turned out nice and tender and very tasty. 
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 09:01:20 pm »
I brown chicken pieces in a shallowish pan I have that has a lid. I then take out the chook, put in sliced onions and a little garlic. Then, add thick slices of apple, cook until tender then add 2 soup  spoonfuls of brown sugar, a drop of soy sauce, one large or 2 small chook stock cubes. and about a pint of dry cider. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat. Place the chook pieces back into the pan and simmer for around an hour. Remove chook again and thicken sauce with cornflour. Add seasoning to taste, especially black pepper. Add chicken back into pan to serve.
Its very yummy and very easy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS