Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep electric fencing  (Read 2349 times)

old and ugly

• Joined Oct 2012
  • France
Sheep electric fencing
« on: October 04, 2012, 06:13:37 am »
Hi to all. As a complete numpty, I will be blunt and to the point. I have about three quarters of an acre of rough grass I would like to keep tidy; I don’t want to spend a fortune on machinery when sheep seem such a good idea. They eat the grass through the summer we eat sheep through the winter. Last year I had some pigs and I can recommend them to anybody clean, cheap and easy to keep and good god the taste was out of this world. So my questions are bearing in mind I live near a main road, I already have a good electric fence generator (Beaumont S500 Paddock).
Will this keep the sheep where I want them i.e. (not in the road thumbing a lift south) if I use the wire against the tape I have for the pigs. What would be my best choice regarding the breed of sheep regarding the fencing, I am happy to compromise the meet production against the safety of the sheep and the road users. Tar old and ugly.. 

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Sheep electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:15:09 am »
Welcome to TAS  :wave:

I can't answer about the electric fencing as my own sheep laugh at electric due to their wool protecting them from the shocks. My LleynXtexel got a ping on the nose but even she no longer has any fears so we now have post and rail with sheep fencing nailed on.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 12:26:44 pm »
I have Ryelands who are the most docile of sheep and I wouldn't rely on electric fence as my boundary. The fleece is such a great insulator and the lure of green grass is so irresistable  :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:37:04 pm »
I also would not use electric on a road boundary, ok for subdividing or boundary with neighbour but not for road. In addition any horned sheep are not allowed under the welfare code to be kept with electric netting.
I would go for some stock netting.

old and ugly

• Joined Oct 2012
  • France
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 04:18:46 pm »
Many thanks to all I guess I'm into spending some doe! I'll look at is as an investment in my Synday dinner.
Again many thanks to all.... 
Any further advice is always welcome

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 05:58:45 pm »
Hi and welcome from sunny Shropshire  :wave: .  I don't keep sheep and don't use electric fencing for my goats but the others know what they are talking about.

Love your forum name.  You'll fit in well on here.  (Not me of course, because I am young and beautiful - in my dreams  :roflanim: )

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 06:44:49 am »
Hello and welcome from Durham  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS