Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: THE ESTATE  (Read 8581 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: THE ESTATE
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 07:30:46 am »
I grew up in NW London, parts of the programme reminded me very much of what my friends went through.
I just found it so very sad, it seemed that many of the teenagers were resigned to the fact that their future was likely to be drugs, prison, unemployment and lack of self worth so they were just going with the flow  :(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 08:24:50 am »
its a joke isnt it!..i didnt watch it but think im going to find it to watch as it sounds interesting..how are thrse poor children supposed to get on in life !?!..
somebody i know recently had her little ones taken off her as she alcoholic..breaks your heart...brought up on a rough estate with no hope in the world..poor beggers..only one good thing to them is that now they will be hopefully starting the good life they deserve .. :fc:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 09:06:04 am »
And for the parents who desperately want the best for their children but who are tarred by the same brush or who get swept along in the awful momentum of what society perceives happens in that environment, its an uphill struggle.
My best friend doesn't live on an estate but is in a similar battle due to family reputation. She's the most amazing mum ever and would put her life on the line for her children but the local police, schools, shops, residents - they don't see that, they 'see' those who have preceded her and her extended family.  We have to not judge people, but we have to look and truly see what they are saying and feeling based on individual merits. A little boy wearing a hoodie, burberry cap, nike joggers and sporting a shaved hair cut will quite possibly be trying to conform to avoid a beating but behind closed doors might be trying to teach himself to read, to understand maths, his heart might break each morning as he has to face school bullies who make his life hell because he is 'different'..Thankfully our local middle school is doing this, sadly the first school did not - that could have been the difference between a young lad making a life for himself and serving life  :(   I know because I am helping such a lad learn to read in his and my own time.
I have no idea why that mum didn't want her child to go to school, there must be some deep seated reason based on her own childhood perhaps why she felt she needed him close to her. That is sad but its not going to help him (or her).
We all know benefit claimants who make the 'if I have another kid, I'll get a 3 bed house' type comments but they are the minority.  I truly believe that most of the people on that estate are good, proud people but that wouldn't make good viewing would it?
sorry, got carried away there but I had to console my 10 year old last night who got into a huge battle at school for defending her best friend when a 'posh' kid made some awful comments and Milli said to me "If I don't defend him Mum, who will?"  :'( [size=78%]  [/size]

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 09:55:10 am »
but I had to console my 10 year old last night who got into a huge battle at school for defending her best friend when a 'posh' kid made some awful comments and Milli said to me "If I don't defend him Mum, who will?"  :'( [size=78%]  [/size]
Good on her plums, not many children would do that and well done for the sort of parenting that makes her think like that  :thumbsup:

I agree with alot of what you say. i have done that myself, judged people then found I am wrong. Its all very well for us to judge the estate but I believe that unless we live in that sort of environment and brought up in that sort of culture we can't say how we would behave. I would like to say i wouldn't be like that, but who knows, if I had that sort of background, little education and parents like that and that was all I had ever known, who knows what i would be like. That is why I feel desparately sorry for the children.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 01:55:26 pm »
but I had to console my 10 year old last night who got into a huge battle at school for defending her best friend when a 'posh' kid made some awful comments and Milli said to me "If I don't defend him Mum, who will?"  :'( [size=78%]  [/size]
Good on her plums, not many children would do that and well done for the sort of parenting that makes her think like that  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:  from me too - when she gets home from school today, please tell her that I want to say that she is a very special, caring person & that I was bullied in school & I would have loved to have had a friend like her - you must be so proud of her Plums  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 03:05:50 pm »
hear hear  :thumbsup:
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36:17 pm »
Milli has just read your comments  :)   She say's "thank you very much". I am incredibly proud of her, she's not afraid to say what she feels or believes, I'm not sure I had her confidence at that age. Good news is that she and her friend have had a better day today  :)

So sorry to hear of your experience with bullying Beewyched  :bouquet:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 02:33:03 pm »
Milli has just read your comments  :)   She say's "thank you very much". I am incredibly proud of her, she's not afraid to say what she feels or believes, I'm not sure I had her confidence at that age. Good news is that she and her friend have had a better day today  :)

So sorry to hear of your experience with bullying Beewyched  :bouquet:
It's ok, thanks Plums - a long time ago & other stuff ... well you can never turn the clock back ... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger & all that.

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 03:19:53 pm »
.. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger & all that.

Weird, I am literally listening to that song on the radio as I read this and her words are what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.... der der der der!! ;D

www.porkyquines.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 05:32:40 pm »
Three generations in many estates, of worklessness and hopelessness. It's easy to say you should sort yourself out and there's work if you want it, but to generate that sort of motivation from such a background takes someone really unusual.

The idea that people deliberately have kids to get a house is interesting as it suggests there's actually some thought and control about having kids. I wish that were so  :P

Add in poor diet, bad parenting and the resulting attachment disorders, foetal alcohol syndrome, low intelligence, agressive neighbours.......what chance do they stand, either the children or the generation before them.

I'd like to see a sort of community work for benefit, ie there's a basic level of benefit and you get an increased level if you do a community job for it, ie all the painting houses, mending roads, fixing things in old people's houses etc. that need doing but don't get done.

Maybe then people would feed needed, as though their lives had some point. They'd learn skills, they'd connect with people round them in a positive way. Maybe.

And then you've got to thank your lucky stars that you were born to a family that had some get up and go, some intelligence. Mine were in coal board housing (so council housing by any other name) and grandad went down the pit at 14. But he was bright, so was Dad, who got to the grammar school, was encouraged to work hard and so we got out. But that was in a community that had full employment, if very hard employment, people's lives had purpose, structure and the community spirit was strong and constructive. Not the case in the coal mining towns and villages anymore.

So there but for the grace of God.....

A little boy wearing a hoodie, burberry cap, nike joggers and sporting a shaved hair cut will quite possibly be trying to conform to avoid a beating but behind closed doors might be trying to teach himself to read, to understand maths, his heart might break each morning as he has to face school bullies who make his life hell because he is 'different'..Thankfully our local middle school is doing this, sadly the first school did not - that could have been the difference between a young lad making a life for himself and serving life
Just this Plums  :thumbsup: We've got to keep keeping on, giving as much hope and practical help as possible. Because what are the alternatives? And can we really abandon those kids?

Give Milli a hug from me  :hug: She is a little star, that there are people like her (and you, who gave her her values) gives me hope  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:38:07 pm by jaykay »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 09:38:59 pm »
Well done to Milli.  She is a good friend to have and a daughter to be proud of, Plums, and give yourselves a pat on the back for bringing her up to be like this.

Jaykay, I think your idea for a basic and extra benefit scheme is brilliant.  Those who want to work could then feel useful, get up to date references and have a bit more money.  The others can just have enough to live on but no more.  It's such a good idea that the government wouldn't do it.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 10:26:14 pm »
Jaykay, I think your idea for a basic and extra benefit scheme is brilliant.  Those who want to work could then feel useful, get up to date references and have a bit more money.  The others can just have enough to live on but no more.  It's such a good idea that the government wouldn't do it.
When the previous Tory Government tried something like this (back 20 years ago) it was called the YOP Scheme - & that was like child labour  ::)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 10:45:06 pm »
Yes! My imagined scheme would be for anyone unemployed for longer than 6 months and definitely not aimed at youngsters instead of decent apprenticeships or proper college courses.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS