Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: registering sheep  (Read 2247 times)

cybilandenid

• Joined Sep 2012
registering sheep
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:18:15 am »
Is there anyone out there who can tell me how to register sheep, i have a small flock of Grey face who arn't registered and would like to know if it is possible???

many thanks :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: registering sheep
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:34:33 am »
The situation is different for each breed, so the only way is to contact the relevant breed society.  Usually your animals have to be from registered stock and have been birth notified by the breeder.  If you can supply the eartag numbers to the breed society they will be able to tell you if this is the case for your sheep.

Someone should come along shortly with more specific information  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cybilandenid

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:44:24 am »
So there is no way of registering unrigistered sheep? I am finding this very tricky!!!! i would like to find a pure grey face ram to put to my girls and not sure how to go about it, maybe it is best to cross them but i do love the breed as they are.

Thank you for your help

Melanie

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 02:35:43 pm »
Hi Melanie

Unfortunately I think you will probably struggle with this.

Do you have the details of the Dams and Sires of your ewes and if so, are BOTH parents registered? If one or both of the parents are not registered I doubt it would be possible to get your girlies registered as the DSBA is pretty strict in order to ensure that the breed remains true to type.

If they can't be registered then their offspring would not be eligible for registration either - even if the ram was registered. Doesn't however mean you can't have 'pure-bred' GFD's it just means they would not be registered and therefore would be less valuable. If you just want them for your own pleasure, does registration really matter?

Have a chat with Patrick the breed secretary - details in below link

http://www.greyface-dartmoor.org.uk/contact.html

Good luck - and in the meantime enjoy your beautiful girls!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS