Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Guilt in pig feed questions....  (Read 2364 times)

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Guilt in pig feed questions....
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:48:49 pm »
Well at last we have our Berkshire girl in pig! A friend came over and scanned her his guess is about 5 weeks in, at the moment she gets her standard feed plus a few tit bits ie peelings, when do I up her food?  And to what amount? I seem to remember when I worked on a unit that we upped feed a few weeks before farrowing but not sure and I don't want to get it wrong been our first litter.....so excited!!!!

Thanks

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Guilt in pig feed questions....
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:08:15 pm »
Congratulation are due  :thumbsup:
Berkshire Boy is probably the best person to answer breed specific questions.  I only keep KKs & I do not give them any extra feed until after they've farrowed (& then I do it gradually) - extra fat can cause birthing problems ... someone with more knowledge of the breed will be here soon, I'm sure  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:54:24 am »
Hi Browntea,
I usually bring my sows in to farrow and that is when I up the feed. I aim to bring them in a week before unless they are struggling in mud and up the food but only by a couple of pound a day.
Once they have farrowed I up it gradually over the first week, their feed plus 1lb per piglet per day. I use farrowing as a good time to get a bit of weight off the sow before she goes back to the boar. :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: GILT in pig feed questions....
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:45:31 pm »
I up the feed a fortnight before farrowing - that's the time when the piglets are putting on most weight.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 03:13:24 am »
Thanks for your replies, fingers crossed for a healthy litter :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS