Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A very itchy problem.  (Read 6248 times)

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
A very itchy problem.
« on: April 29, 2009, 03:36:43 pm »
I could really do with your thoughts and advice. I bought in a 4 year old mare to be broken about 4 weeks ago, shes coming along really well but has one big problem. Shes full of lice. She's been in the isolation stable since arriving, until i can rid her of these nasties she wont be allowed out.

What I'm doing. Shes in isolation, she can see others but no contact, has her own grooming kit, tack etc, which are dusted with louse powder each time they are used she has been dusted to start, when i could touch her and realised she had the critters about day 5 after her arrival the two days later, they seemed to be dieing off so again two day later, then every 5 to seven days. But now shes full again and the powder doesn't seem to be doing anything at all to them. I also dusted her bed when she was dusted.
I've used two powders on her the gold label and not to sure what its called in a blue tub from the feed place. There seems to be loads out there for cattle and sheep but very little for horses. I will be so grateful for any advice that could help. Emma. :horse:

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
Re: A very itchy problem.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:49:59 pm »
I had some foals from the Dartmoor drift sales that were crawling with lice. Deosect (equine) spray works well, as does 'headmarks' (think thats what its called) moose that you use on children with head lice.

HTH

ETA link - http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Deosect-Spray-250ml/productinfo/DEO250/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:51:50 pm by BadgerFace »
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 04:05:36 pm »
Thanks for that, will give it a try, I'm sure talc would work better than the louse powder the perfume may repell the better.  :D :D Going to order some now. :horse:

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:13:04 pm »
I should add, that I had to sponge it on the Dartie's - no way was a semi wild pony going to let me spray them. Lucky the lice were concentrated in their manes and docks.  :horse:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:22:23 pm »
She was wild when i got her, she didn't take to the powder to well, but now i can powder her all over, The spray will probably give her a heart attack at first, but she will soon get used to it. Slowly and carefully, shes going to be a child's riding pony one day so will have to get used to these things.  :horse:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 06:46:33 pm »
we had the same problem with some shetland ponies from the sales. semi wild ponies really dont like being sprayed. The stuff works but it really is nasty stuff.

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 01:23:11 pm »
Problem solved, Thank you. Not the best of stuff but got shut of the nasties. she's out in the field now kicking up her heals with the others.  ;D ;D

Badger face, can you give me some info on the dartmoor sales,  when, where, etc. I'd love to go, we get loads of section A from the mountins here, it would be great to see something diffrent.  :D

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 03:28:01 pm »
Problem solved, Thank you. Not the best of stuff but got shut of the nasties. she's out in the field now kicking up her heals with the others.  ;D ;D

Badger face, can you give me some info on the dartmoor sales,  when, where, etc. I'd love to go, we get loads of section A from the mountins here, it would be great to see something diffrent.  :D

I agree Deosect is pretty grim (smells like that horrible stuff people spray on rose bushes) but I think lice are getting tougher, and often need something stronger than powder to kill them off.

Here's the link to the Dartmoor Hill Pony Assoc. http://www.dartmoorhillpony.com/default.html there's a link on there to sales dates/places. Great little ponies. I have one at the moment who I'm going to break to harness this summer. She's five now, and I think she was £40 all in !! as a weanling from Chagford. Sadly the less well put together foals often only fetch a few pounds and find themselves being shipped out to Ireland to beat the live export ban  >:( As a child we used to buy lovely ponies from the Quantock Hill sales. I no longer live in Somerset, and have no idea if they still hold them ?

Heres my Little Holly - all 11 hands of her  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 03:34:17 pm »
She's lovely.  I always wanted a pony of my own, never seemed to have enough money and time together.  Now I'm retired I'd have liked to have enough land to have one for eh grandkids, but could only get a house with a huge garden - not enough nor the right type of grass for a pony.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:46:03 pm »
Shes beautiful, well put together. The section A are like that here, at the end of last years sales people were leaving them at the auctions because no one wanted them and they were to expensive to look after, These are the ones i love, they make lovely no frills child's riding ponies, wouldn't win a showing class but with time and patience they make supper safe ponies.
 Good luck with the driving hope she comes along well for you, and thank you once again for all your help. ;D ;D :horse:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS