Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducks !  (Read 3567 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Ducks !
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:55:26 pm »
About 5 weeks ago there was a little drake turned up. It was covered in oil and had a limp. Anyway we took it in got it cleaned up and sorted out.
It stayed here going for a wander around the fields during the day and going into the barn at night.
On friday night he didnt come back and we have not seen him since.
I have been out all afternoon on a microchiping course  got back at 5pm and we where met with lots of quacking  ::)
We now have around 25 ducks out there  :o all colours from white, kaki and chocolate brown including our little one. they are  all full sized ducks apart from our little one who looks like a call duck cross
Its getting dark here and they are all sitting outside the barn settling down for the night.
Called all of the locals and nobody has lost them  ::)
Graham

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Ducks !
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:14:10 pm »
We used to have shooting on the estate here - but that stopped this year but there are still ducks, including some Calls on the estate pond - I wonder how long into winter it will take till they move up here to the 'never empty' food dish. The game keeper has been 'let go' so the next food supply is here!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:26:26 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Just went to fetch his mates .... bless him  :D
A small drake joined my dad's Indian Runners once and lived out his days with them. He wouldn't always come in at night to be locked up but always returned in the mornings. Wonder if all your new friends mean to stay  :o   ;D [size=78%] [/size]

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:42:56 pm »
I am hopeing that they go wherever they came from at first light !
I was a bit foolish though  :-[ I have just been out to see if they where still there and given them a hugh trough of brewers grains  :innocent: They are happily tucking in to them
Graham

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 08:46:44 pm »
Lol, i would do the same!

Helen

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:40:51 pm »
maybe someone dumped them with you, knowing you're a caring person  ??? . If they are domestic they probably won't go anywhere. Can't you just keep them and enjoy? Others would pay a small fortune for 25 ducks  ;D (let's say £ 15-25 per girl)!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 01:40:33 pm »
I did wonder if they had been dumped because a lot of people in the north of england know I do Guineapig rescue and that I do take in other animals in urgent cases.
They are definatly domestic ducks and still here  ::)
Graham

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 01:58:14 pm »
shame you are that far away - I'd take some off your hands... :&>
you can always take them to a poultry auction if no home is found. :&>

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 02:01:43 pm »
Aw - sweet
He went and called his family and friends  ;D
are there ducks or all drakes?
Good luck!
Divide em up and get 'em sold  :innocent:
freeads etc online

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 07:09:59 pm »
Well just come in and they are still all there
I have not had a really close look at them to sex them as I always have at least 2 of the dogs with me and although the dogs are 100% with all animals the ducks have obviously not seen dogs before and run accross the field as soon as They see the dogs.
will pop out later without the dogs tto see if I can see what there is.
Judging by the amount of quacking there does seem to be a fair few female ducks though
Graham

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 07:27:56 pm »
We could do with some luck like you. Our car is in a garrage 950 km away and we have no way to go out and buy duck or rabbit food. There are only so many ducks you can keep going on lettuce and there is little green stuff ( drought) for the rabbits. I have been killing , plucking and skinning things all day.
It would be great to find some free food after the luck we have had with things of late. Hope you enjoy the ducks.
Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 08:18:19 pm »
Awww, he was the scout looking for a nice place for his friends to live - when he found yours he went back for them  ;D

I've just been adopted by 14 mallards, a mum and her 13 nearly full-grown ducklings! This is on top of my own 20 ducks, runners and calls. I'm sort of pleased but know that half of them will be drakes and don't want them interbreeding or hassling. I suppose I could eat them when it gets to that point  :P

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 11:04:17 am »
We have a constant dozen mallards (often a LOT more) on our pond - they keep to themselves though and don't breed with the others.  Eat lots of food though  ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 10:10:26 am »
Well they are still all here, they keep going for a wander accross the fields but as soon as they hear voices you see them running accross the fields towards you
Graham

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 11:35:43 am »
Thanks for the piture!  I want some  :-[ :-[ . They are definitely domestic (Appleyards and 1 Aylesbury? Correct me , folks, if wrong) and must be used to being fed!! Out in the open they are probably quite vulnerable at night!  :&> :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS