Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rowan Jelly  (Read 5550 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Rowan Jelly
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:50:53 pm »
Has any one got a fool-proof recipe they'd like to share for Rowan berries?
There's masses of berries on the trees around here (hope that doesn't mean another hard winter  ???  ) & I'd like to have a go at making some.
Thanks

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Re: Rowan Jelly
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:42:35 am »
Not tried it yet but 'this lovely, simple and easy recipe is courtesy of Thane Prince from her book'.  Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 40 minutesTotal Time: 55 minutesIngredients:
  • 4lb/1.8 kg rowan berries, washed and stalks removed
  • 3 lb/ 1.4 kg cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered
  • 1 lb/ 450g white sugar for each pint/ 600 ml juice
Preparation:
  • Put all the fruit in a large preserving pan and barely cover with water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes or until the fruit is soft. Allow to drip through a jelly bag overnight.
  • Measure the juice and weigh out the correct amount of sugar. Add the juice and sugar to the cleaned preserving pan, and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
  • Increase the heat and cook at a full rolling boil for 5 minutes, then test for a set. (see tips on jelly making below). When the jelly has reached setting point, pot into hot, sterilized jars, seal and label.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:46:39 am »
Many thanks for this  :thumbsup: - I'll be out collecting berries this afternoon  :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:08:53 am »
You' ve inspired me to do the same BW.  ;D
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:41:07 am »
I had forgotten about rowan jelly!  I made loads a few yaers ago and it was delicious!  I think I used Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall's recipe when I made it.

You're inspired me too!

Helen

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 09:46:27 am »
Ditto - inspired!  No Damsons this year but plenty of rowan.  River cottage preserves ratios are 1 Kg rowan 1Kg crab appple 900 g sugar.  Happy Jaming all.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 09:47:09 am »
When you all say jelly do you mean exactly that? Is this a recipe that needs straining and faffing about or do you just put in jars like you do for jam?
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 09:54:43 am »
jelly means straining and faffing as you dont want the bits of rowan berry etc in your finished product they dont taste good...

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 10:15:36 am »
Ditto - inspired!  No Damsons this year but plenty of rowan.  River cottage preserves ratios are 1 Kg rowan 1Kg crab appple 900 g sugar.  Happy Jaming all.
No damsons here this year either  :(  & I love their jam too  :yum:  - we didn't get any last year either, as the gales stripped-off the blossom  ::)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 11:21:48 am »
No damsons or plums but plenty of rowan!  I don't think I put in crab apples but think I used that sugar that has the pectin in - the jam sugar. 

Helen

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 07:33:54 am »
Somewhere elsw on the forum...there was a what to do with rhubarb question and another member had made rhubarb jelly.....i would love to know how to do this if anyone can help :thumbsup:
We have a triffid of a rhubarb plant  and i've never made jam :-[  either so am a complete novice  all help gratefully received :sunshine:

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 07:45:14 am »
Rowan and blackberry work really well together in jelly, especially if you add some whisky  :yum:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 09:27:54 am »
I decided to make the rowan and apple jelly after reading this thread. I bought the apples but then found that the birds have eaten almost all of the rowan berries  :(
Well I decided I would go ahead with the few that I had just to try out the straining bit. The result is only half a jar but its lovely and clear and such a nice colour. Mind you I haven't actually tried eating it yet  ;D
I will definitely get there before the birds next year  :fc:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS