Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: gluten free cake / pudding recipes wanted for children  (Read 5642 times)

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
gluten free cake / pudding recipes wanted for children
« on: August 26, 2012, 12:13:11 pm »
Hi, my youngest daughter on a new gluten free diet..my mum been coeliac for 40 years but i was wondering if anybody got some gluten free cake recipes aimed at kiddies ..u know like chocolate type or something different ..give her sometjing tasty as the shop  bought can be bounced off the walls ..haha.. :excited:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: gluten free cake / pudding recipes wanted for children
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 12:21:45 pm »
I make a chocolate cake for my dad who is intollerent to gluton as well  i basically use my normal choc sponge recipe, but add a little bit of milk.  This recipe is for a loaf tin but double it for a bigger tin.

4oz gluton free self raising flour
4oz caster sugar
4oz marg
2 eggs
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder (or just do it to taste)

Chuck it all into a mixing bowl and mix using an electric whisk. 

After mixing, put in some milk just to make the mixture look like a normal cake mixture

Bung in the oven for about half an hour on 180 or thereabouts.

I also do a sticky toffee pudding which is similar.  I can let you have that if you are interested?

Helen

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:23:49 pm »
If you're doing gluten free cakes I swear by Helen's Brilliant Bread mix.

My friend is coeliac and we've tried various flours and I've found most of them come up dry in your mouth. But this one substitutes straight with normal flour.

Have a good banana bread recipe if you like?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:15:26 pm »
Hi both, thanku for your replies..i would love the sticky toffee and banana recipe too..thanku..lets get baking..yummy.. :yum: :thumbsup:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 11:21:54 pm »
Really simple and not had a bad one yet, even with reducing sugar. Also works as muffins.

Banana Bread Recipe
INGREDIENTS
•   3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
•   1/3 cup melted butter
•   1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
•   1 egg, beaten
•   1 teaspoon vanilla
•   1 teaspoon baking soda
•   Pinch of salt
•   1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

METHOD
No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

Dans - now wanting cake
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:28:18 pm »
ha ha dans, i lurve baking, that smell when its in the oven... :yum:, time to get cooking...hope there some left for my daughter once ive finished tasting it!! ..  :innocent:...because u need to know it ok first..x

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:33:23 pm »
NIgela Lawson does a great wheat free orange chocolate cake with ground almonds.
I am away at the mo so can't look it up.
I am a nutritionist and have had my baby on a wheat, dairy, egg, soya free diet for a year (allergies from birth). If you want some recipes emailing over PM me
Good luck  :D
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 09:38:04 pm »
Chocolate roulade has no flour and is delish, there is a good recipe in Delia Smith cookery course (old brown cover book)  My mum used to be so pleased to be able to make it for my coeliac cousins years ago before there was any gluten free stuff about. It is in the book as Squidgy chocolate log, she fills it with white choc mousse but cream is simpler

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 01:03:26 pm »
Hi both, thanku for your replies..i would love the sticky toffee and banana recipe too..thanku..lets get baking..yummy.. :yum: :thumbsup:

I have seen this but been busy. Will dig out the recipe later - laying laminate flooring today!!

Helen

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 12:17:27 pm »
Thanku for all your help guys .. :yum:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 11:28:05 am »

Sticky toffee pudding recipe

6oz butter/margerine
6oz dark muscovado sugar
2tbsp golden syrup
2 eggs, beaten
4oz self raising flour (gluton free)

Preheat oven 180 degrees

Grease ovenproof dish
Pour 2oz of butter, 2oz of sugar and the golden syrup in a saucepan.  Heat very gently.   Pour into dish
Put remaining butter (4oz) and sugar (4oz) in saucepan and heat gently.  Remove from heat and cool slightly.  Add beaten eggs, mix well.  If you put the eggs in before it's cooled enough, you end up with scrambled eggs
Sift flour in a bowl and make a well in the middle.  Pour in the melted butter mixture and stir well.
Transfer to baking dish
Place in oven for 40-45 mins

If the flour mixture is a little thick, add a small amount of milk.  I don't think I've had to add much at all in the past but it has been a while since I made a GF one.

I always make extra toffess sauce to go with it.

6oz marg
6oz dark muscavado sugar
cream

Heat butter and sugar together, add cream to taste. 

It is a simple sticky toffee recipe so doesn't include dates, which I don't like anyway.  Imagine you could put those in without any problems if you like.

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS