Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: who's going to lanark on friday?  (Read 13446 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: who's going to lanark on friday?
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 07:27:45 pm »
It was good to see you lot again!
Brought my menage of chickens home last night, transfered bantams ( in cardboard pet transport boxes) to the pick up to take home, The dreaded Jack Russell (Princess Amy) scrapped into one box and killed and started to eat one of my wee hens!! All within the one mile that she travelled!! So, Moral of the story.................Dont trust a Jack Russell, even for a mile!!!

That's their job I would have thought  ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 07:35:33 pm »
I thought the bids were really low actually - it's the smallest auction I've been to I suppose but some of them I felt really sorry for the sellers, thinking of the work and care given to birds and animals it wasn't reflected in the bids - not enough people there perhaps - good if you were buying I expect.

Nice to meet Fleecewife, SallintNorth and OH, Bewyched, Bloomer and Rosemary - thanks for the TAS badge.  Sorry I missed you Robert, I'm sure it would have been memorable  :farmer: :D

See you all at Carlisle if you are there.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2012, 09:53:07 pm »
Prices for the Shetlands were in fact very good.  Tup lambs sold by the penload will always be cheap as they are bought up by the meat buyers - and there were several there, mainly halal - or by those intending to rear them on for another year for hogget.  A pen of ancient ewes which should have been left at home went for £5 each  :( .  The top price I am aware of was £150 for a white Shetland gimmer, and another for £145   :excited: :excited: :innocent: .  The champion tup went for £130 I think, and many females fetched £50-60.  Buyers knew just what they wanted, and there seemed to be plenty of buyers.

I didn't see the end of the Shetlands, or any of the other breeds going through.
Actually the prices for the Shetlands were down on last year, quite a lot ofyoun ger ewes and gimmer sold for bewteen 70 and 80 last year, not so this year, although I didn't stay for the later ones.
As I was first in the ring and hardly any buyers there at the beginning mine didn't reach the reserve I had set, but managed to sell the privately later on  :relief: . So all in all fairly happy. But I still think this sale is too early for ewes, maybe ok for gimmers and tups. And the catalogue is just shambles.... no indication of colour, often the ages are wrong etc etc...
I will definitely try and get to Carlisle, to see if that is any better, although no sheep in the sale there. Maybe get a tup there....

robert waddell

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2012, 10:21:47 pm »
goosepimple i am sorry that i missed you as well     and anke  i take it you were the disappointed seller with bids at £42  good that you sold them privately :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2012, 11:19:28 pm »
Just got back from Durham - visiting some of the out-laws (of the better kind  :thumbsup:  ) so only just jumped on here.
It was great to meet-up with so many TASers yesterday - catching-up with the usual friendly faces  :-*  & getting to put some more faces to names  :thumbsup:
We were also the 1st of a few visitors over to Karen - so I made sure I got one of her scrummy carrot cake muffins  :yum:  Also managed to have a grunting session with Harriet  - her & Tommy's babies are absoloutely gorgeous  :eyelashes:
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2012, 11:39:04 pm »
Prices for the Shetlands were in fact very good.  Tup lambs sold by the penload will always be cheap as they are bought up by the meat buyers - and there were several there, mainly halal - or by those intending to rear them on for another year for hogget.  A pen of ancient ewes which should have been left at home went for £5 each  :( .  The top price I am aware of was £150 for a white Shetland gimmer, and another for £145   :excited: :excited: :innocent: .  The champion tup went for £130 I think, and many females fetched £50-60.  Buyers knew just what they wanted, and there seemed to be plenty of buyers.

I didn't see the end of the Shetlands, or any of the other breeds going through.
Actually the prices for the Shetlands were down on last year, quite a lot ofyoun ger ewes and gimmer sold for bewteen 70 and 80 last year, not so this year, although I didn't stay for the later ones.
As I was first in the ring and hardly any buyers there at the beginning mine didn't reach the reserve I had set, but managed to sell the privately later on  :relief: . So all in all fairly happy. But I still think this sale is too early for ewes, maybe ok for gimmers and tups. And the catalogue is just shambles.... no indication of colour, often the ages are wrong etc etc...
I will definitely try and get to Carlisle, to see if that is any better, although no sheep in the sale there. Maybe get a tup there....

Prices were artificially high last year because the Late Tom Findlay's Rench flock was being sold, so buyers came up from the South and were prepared to pay a lot more than usual for some very special sheep.

Comparing Shetland prices at Lanark with those at say York in past years, they are well up this year.  I would have been very happy to have been selling at those prices  :thumbsup:   Obviously everyone's experiences were different.
I'm sorry to have missed you Anke.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS