Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: turkey advice  (Read 3789 times)

The Lint Mill

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
turkey advice
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:55:25 pm »
Hi
have been offered two turkeys to raise for meat, we have a large fenced off area where we could keep them in a separate house but we have our 3 geese there, are they ok to mix with other poultry? our hens do not go in there.

thanks
colin & debby
www.thelintmill.co.uk
follow us on Twitter

@TheLintMill

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: turkey advice
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:17:42 pm »
They will be fine with geese (just keep the chickens away)

We use our geese as body guards for our poultry  ;D
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

The Lint Mill

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:58:12 am »
Thanks Coopers
www.thelintmill.co.uk
follow us on Twitter

@TheLintMill

AndrewMBaines

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 07:25:21 am »
I swapped some excess ducks for 2 turkeys a few years ago. Vicious things, went to the freezer the day they scratched my wife all the way down her legs.
On my never again list.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:00:29 am »
I swapped some excess ducks for 2 turkeys a few years ago. Vicious things, went to the freezer the day they scratched my wife all the way down her legs.
On my never again list.
ahh  :(
we've got turkeys and i love them- so curious try getting them as day olds or incubate some eggs.
you'll find them friendly then :thumbsup:
apart from the occasions last year when the christmas birds kept flying high in the  :tree: :tree: :tree: trees to roost and we were trying to put them away one night in the  :raining:  they have been a pleasure :excited: (all the way from eggs :yum:  to the table :yum: :yum: )
Mx
Mx

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:09:02 am »
We have them from day olds too, makes the world of difference - friendly and very funny.

Ours free range in a field without trees as last year they did keep roosting in trees  :tree:

Also found the more we have the less needy and jumpy they are
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 08:46:33 pm »
What about wing clipping turkeys?     We have 3 hens & a stag (All will hand feed & follow you)  Can you clip their wings like poultry?
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 09:00:58 pm »
Clipping is a good way, just like with chickens, have done it on the odd one that was very adventurous - but as we have so many we don't do it by default

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 09:05:39 pm »
How long till they hit the table?
And is 2 enough?

Thinking turkeys or geese, turkeys or geese...
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:18:15 pm »
our turkeys take between 22 and 24 weeks, we hang for 7 days before ready for the table  :excited:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 09:53:09 am »
We thought about Turkey's last year but I was concerned that they might be noisy as we have a couple of close neighbours and being on a hill everything seem's even louder! Do they graze grass at all? how much care is involved compared to hens?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 10:02:30 am »
I find them no trouble at all, they are noisy when there is something wrong - they do need access to clean water like other poultry, but I find they drink a lot more.

They love grass and bugs, so the more space to roam the better  ;D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 10:06:51 am »
We've tried several breeds of turkeys & have so far found that the best ones for us are the Norfolk Bronze as we free-range them, but shut them away at night to protect them for the Reynard family.  The commercial white ones get big more quickly, but are nowhere near as hardy (we had a 30% loss in the first week when we tried to free-range them & had to rear them in the barn).
IMHO they are just a easy to keep as chickens, especially if you hatch your own or buy -in day-olds. Yes, they need to be kept under heat a wee bit longer (especially this "summer"  ::)  ), but they are such inquisitive wee things - much more attentive than most chooks & definately not as noisy - that'll please the neighbours  :thumbsup:
Not really noticed them grazing as such, but they like to pick at things - anything shiny or brightly coloured - including my flowering perennials  :huff:
My OH does the "end job" - I'm still too much of a softie to kill anything (unless it's culling for health reasons) but definately worth rearing a trio for your own use to start with - I named ours "Christmas", "New Year" & "Easter"  :roflanim:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 10:07:33 am »
 :wave: Hi Plums

We only have 3 Norfolk bronze hens & 1 male but we had them living in the garden for a few weeks at first (I fell in love with them at first sight & brought them home only to have to tell hubby to build a new pen  ;D )  They are fairly noisy I suppose, I got in the habit of hand feeding them chickweed to tame them a bit & every time I was within sight they were calling to me to feed them more!  If your neighbours could tolerate a cockerel, you should be fine, it's usually just when they talk to each other (Or you  ::) )  They will let you know when people or predators are about, which is handy! 
But as for grazing, they love it & without a large enough area they will soon take it down to bare earth.   But they are fascinating animals & I love them to bits... They mated while I was in the pen the other day & I didn't dare to move, It was almost spiritual (And I am not religious at all) The hen spread her wings & bowed her head, the male was a tad enthusiastic though, bless her  ;)  But just watching them interact with each other is lovely.  They are very social & need company & will all cuddle up together...  But I could run on for hours about them, so I shall leave it there for now & let someone else have a say!   
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS