Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to grow in the shetland isles weather!  (Read 7594 times)

natasha

• Joined Dec 2007
  • whalsay,shetland isles
what to grow in the shetland isles weather!
« on: December 27, 2007, 05:30:52 pm »
please help.what will survive the shetland weather.we have a greenhouse but the chickens have taken over there so we are about to order a polly tunnel[not sure if it will last in these winds!]Our land is quite wet in places and is peaty.I know nothing abot growing veg and would like some help in what to grow ,when and where!!!thanks.
natasha.

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
Re: what to grow in the shetland isles weather!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:35:12 am »
A polytunnel is a must as far as I can gather. The wind and the salt destroy just about everything here on Orkney.
You'll probably be pleasantly surprised in the summer, but anything tender needs to be undercover. A lot of tunnels here seem to have survived for several years, although one or two were stripped by last winter's gales.
I'll be asking the locals here for tips and will pass any info on. Let me know how you get on

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 01:43:45 pm »
not having personaly experience with shetland but i would think that the salt spray would be the worst thing to worry about.
Linz

hebber

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:54:12 pm »
Hello,  I'm living on the isle of lewis (in the hebrides).  It's probably not quite as extreme as the shetlands, but probably similar problems.  I managed to grow kale, brussel sprouts, potatoes, carrots, and beetroot.  The kale was the easiest - I just stuck it in the ground and it looked after itself.  Anything more tender than these just seem to shrivel and die in the wind.  Oh broad beans seemed completely unbothered by the wind as well - and jerusalem artichokes.
Also digging drainage will help.  And I've started putting in hedging for shelter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS